Hi Everyone, New Member Here! How to make Laptop run fast again?

Hey, I’m ___ and from
Europe
Age group
21 - 30
Last known PC infection
Fav. Web Browser
Google Chrome
Fav. Mobile OS
Android
Fav. Desktop OS
Windows
Fav. Antivirus
HitmanPro
Fav. Videogame
GTA 5

stephenkenyon15

Thread author
Nov 14, 2019
I have completed the malware removal this morning. It has worked brilliantly as it found and removed 78 detections which consisted of trojans and adware. My laptop is a lot better although I'm wondering if there is any way to make my laptop run nice and fast like it used to?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Kindest regards,
Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
G'day @stephenkenyon15 ,

A warm welcome to the MalwareTips Community.

I hope you enjoy the benefits of membership here!

There are many forums on the site. The answer(s) to your question should just be a matter of locating the appropriate one and either creating a thread or, posting in the correct area.

Please also read the guidelines contained in your Welcome Message.

Given that you've had a great deal of Malware on your machine, I'd suggest you start with a full system check. If you're running Windows the following link should get you there. Please follow the instructions to the letter!

Link: Malware Removal Assistance For Windows

Warm Regards,

@TRS-80 :unsure: :coffee: (y)

stephenkenyon15

Thread author
Nov 14, 2019
G'day @stephenkenyon15 ,

A warm welcome to the MalwareTips Community.

I hope you enjoy the benefits of membership here!

There are many forums on the site. The answer(s) to your question should just be a matter of locating the appropriate one and either creating a thread or, posting in the correct area.

Please also read the guidelines contained in your Welcome Message.

Given that you've had a great deal of Malware on your machine, I'd suggest you start with a full system check. If you're running Windows the following link should get you there. Please follow the instructions to the letter!

Link: Malware Removal Assistance For Windows

Warm Regards,

@TRS-80 :unsure: :coffee: (y)

Hi mate, thanks for that, your a star! Iv just installed a new battery to my Toshiba laptop satellite c50 a 146. Got 8gb ram on the way and just looking in to proceccors and which are compatible.. This laptop will hopefully be a beast all going well and will become somewhat of a gaming laptop.

Any chance you know what proceccors are compatible?

Regards,
Stephen

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
Hey @stephenkenyon15 ,

Sounds like you want extremish performance there. I don't know which processors would be suitable or not. Perhaps have a look through the forums or, search them for info.

Failing that, put up your current specifications via a,link you'll find by clicking on your avatar.

Save time. Here's the link: Computer Security Configuration

If you fill that out members are likely to comment on your security configuration. Maybe put up the first comment mentioning you'd like to speed up your machine. I'm sure you'll get a few comments.

Feel free to click on my security configuration to get an idea of the information you may need. You can access it by clicking the computer icon at the top of my messages.

Also, I often vacuum all my vents. I occasionally partially strip my machines periodically. Usually when I've been a bit lazy for a while. Some people don't agree with normal vacuuming. I've never had a problem with it.

A couple of other points:

Open “Properties” on your C:\ drive. Go to the second(?) tab and clean out unnecessary files. This may require an Admin Prompt depending on your UAC settings. It may take a while to run. *DON'T ENABLE EXTRA CHECK BOXES* just run with the defaults. Consider selecting the check box for your temp folder.

Alternatively, you could use a program like CCleaner. Just beware of the additional software. Deselect the check boxes for them. *DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH THE REGISTRY*

NOTE: SSDs can't be decragmented.
Once you've got rid of some excess baggage, I'd again select(right click on) drive C:\, open “Properties.” Select the “Tools” menu. Go to defragmentation(defrag.) Select available drives, one at a time. Click “Analyze.” It can take a while so be patient.I prefer not to use the computer during a defrag. Just let it sit. Once the analysis is complete, you should be either told “the drive does not require defragmentation.” Or, youll received a message showing the percentage of fragmentation and ask if you want to defragment the drive. Select yes or, right click on the drive in the table and select Defrag. *This is going to take a while, so pick your time.*

Press the Windows Key(or click the Start menu) and scroll.down to “Windows Admin(maybe + tools.) I'm not near a Windows machine so I'm running from memory here. There are a group of Windows related folders. Just look through them until you find one called “Command Prompt.” When you've found it, Right Click on it and select Run as Administrator and Click.

Type in exactly the following commands. These will only run from an Administrator Command Prompt Session.

Once the window is open, it should show a “prompt” which is the folder/directory that is currently in focus. e.g.

C:\Windows\System32\

That's an aside.

Here are a couple of fairly simple commands you can use to give a reasonably quick check/fix for common system issues. It, basically, checks the integrity of system files. The process should NOT be interrupted!

Be aware, if you copy and paste the following two commands, there are leading blank spaces that may need to be removed prior to executing the command.

1)

TYPE: SFC /SCANNOW

Press ENTER.

Again, this is going to take some time. Please note down in Notepad or similar, the result of the scan. The easiest way I've found to copy text from a Command Prompt window is to Select it with the mouse, then press CTRL+C. That should allow you to paste the text you'd highlighted earlier into a text document. Save as ANSI or UTF-8. You can post that back up here or in a Private conversation, thread, etc.

Next, remembering the above comments, bearing in mind this may take 5-30 mins depending on your system. This checks the Windows Component Store for Corruption and, if found, attempts to repair any issues found.

2)
Do not interrupt this process!

TYPE: DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH

Press ENTER.

Once complete, add the report content to your text log. You may have to manually type part of the result from the DISM command.

Now please reboot the machine.

When you've got through that lot please let me know how you're running. You can either open a topic, thread or, private message me. Just “Tag” me in it please so I can find it quickly.

If at any point you have any concerns, please stop and message back here.

*Please remember that this is advice only and the ultimate decision to proceed is solely your own. Always keep a regularly updated disc image and backup. Ensure you create a Windows Repair Disc. Create a Restore Point before performing operations that may affect system files.

All that said, I hope the above helps you wring a little more speed out of your machine.

Good luck! Please let me know how you get on.

Also, let me know if I'm giving you info you already know please.

Very best,

@TRS-80

Last edited:

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
I have completed the malware removal this morning. It has worked brilliantly as it found and removed 78 detections which consisted of trojans and adware. My laptop is a lot better although I'm wondering if there is any way to make my laptop run nice and fast like it used to?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Kindest regards,
Stephen

See the comments about driver easy from the last 30 - 60 days

Reactions: Venustus and TRS-80

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hi there, you can consider to use the Crucial tool to determine what is the best upgrade and to see whether your machine can take an SSD, which will absolutely speed things up. If it can, make note of the specs and then you can shop Samsung, Kingston, Western Digital for comparablle units. Here is the page with info on the model you listed. Doing a search yielded results on a similar netbook where it was NOT possible to upgrade the processor. It might be soldered to the mother board. You can contact Toshiba and ask but I'm not confident you can upgrade that cpu. Here is contact info.

One thing that can definitely slow a machine down is thermal (heat). You can use something like HWINFO or CPUID to monitor your system temps. If they are too high, factor whether you have a dust build-up in the vent and heat sink, as was previously suggested. If you're not comfortable opening up your laptop, maybe your local shop can service it for you, for a fee of course. :rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.