Status
Not open for further replies.

Digerati

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I guess looking better without them is a matter of opinion - though I do think some take it to far when one signature takes up half a page with things like SpeedTest results, rig photos and 10 lines of 15 different colors of multi-sized text, for example.

But I think 4 or 5 lines gives the member an opportunity to explain who they are. I prefer to use the user name Digerati because it was a nickname given to me by an old commander for keeping the wrath of the general at bay when he accidently deleted some document - again! But at the same time, as a forum helper, I don't like to hide behind an anonymous avatar and alias username. That might not instill trust in the nervous poster who fears a suggested procedure might break his or her computer further. So I like to remove that anonymity when possible by telling who I am via my signature, as seen here. Nothing big, nothing flashy - just enough to let folks know I might know a little about computers and will at least try not to lead them astray.

But to address your individual preference for tidiness, I understand and respect that. But I note most (if not all) forum software, including XenForo as used here, lets users hide or "Collapse Signatures" via a simple checkbox setting in our Preferences Settings menu. So those who like and enjoy them can see them, those who don't can hide them. It seems like a win-win to me.

If someone joins a site to promote some product or their business or do something malicious, they are easy to quickly spot. And as a moderator at other sites myself, it is easy to manage those users (and their sigs) too. But frankly, in my experience, the need to do so has been minimal.
being a Forum Against Malware, it wouldn't really suit signatures.
I don't see where that makes any difference. Using that logic, a hardware forum should not use signatures. A Linux forum should not use signatures. Car enthusiasts, bicycling or cooking forums should not use signatures then. In fact, would sigs be suited for any type forum?

Shouldn't that logic apply to personal avatars then?

It's not a big deal - I was just wondering.

Reactions: picabo

Digerati

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
We must know how to differentiate between
An intrusively evil malware that destroys systems, steals and mocking victim.
Or a malware type caramelous that while pampers the clients,
Is spying on them with a big eye behind a window, in the like form of a 10.
digerati you are Welcome, in MalwareTips.
I am not sure what any of that means but thank you for the welcome! ;)

I will say this, it is important to know how to differentiate between "security" and "privacy". They are vastly different. Despite how some feel about Windows 10 "privacy" policies, W10 and Microsoft are NOT trying to learn your real name, discover your street address, steal your passwords or bank accounts, hack your personal contacts, infect your computer with malware, or compromise your personal identity. In fact, Windows 10 is, by far, the most "secure" Windows yet at protecting and "securing" that information to keep it away from the bad guys.

If you are worried about your "privacy", look at your ISP first. They not only know everything you do on the Internet, they already know and have tied that information to your real name, real street address, and real billing information. If that doesn't concern you (and it should) look at your cell phone carrier. In addition to all that personal information, they also know who you have texted and talked to, and they know where you have been, where (to within a few feet! :eek:) you are currently standing including which aisle of the store you are in! They also know the direction you are heading and how fast you are traveling!

If you connect your computer to your network via Ethernet, all Microsoft knows of your location is your "PoP" (point of presence) - the physical location where your ISP connects you to the Internet backbone. In my case, that is 10 miles away in the next town over! :)

Digerati

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
sounds like you are well qualified in the IT business and hope you enjoy learning as well teaching here.
Absolutely! I love sharing what I have learned, but the icing on the cake is rubbing shoulders with other experts and learning something new. IT is industries within industries. If there is one thing I have learned over the years it is the more I learn the more I realize there is yet to learn. I have also learned that things rapidly change. What was once true may no longer be. I hate to be wrong so Bing Google is my best friend. I am constantly verifying my facts before posting to make sure my chronic problem of GCF (geriatric cranial flatulence) has not plundered my "little grey cells" - again, or that advances in technologies have not changed the rules - again.

Anyway, thanks for the "very warm welcome". It is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.