Hi to all! And thanks to those who helped me find a good config last week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
Hi all:

I posted last week, seeking a replacement to Avast Free, which had really caused some problems on my Windows 10 x64 Home system lately (handle leaks, slowing down system, etc.), even after full removal, reinstalls, etc. I spent about 3 hours research AV benchmarks, reviews, etc., and was getting a lot of contradictory information. I need something lightweight for my relatively slow system, but still wanted good protection. Also poor, so was looking for something free or very cheap.

I was thrilled when I got about 12 knowledgeable responses in an hour. People gave me what I later verified was great advice: that Avira free wasn't up to the job heuristics-wise, and that Windows Defender with extras (like VoodooShield, etc.) would probably be a good start. Others gave other advice that I might follow should this not work.

I was a little nervous about going with WD alone, but I guess it's really improved a lot. I'm pretty confused and irritated with VoodooShield's interface, and planning on finding more info about configuring it or using an alternative. I'm also using Windows 10 Firewall Control portable (free version), but I'm planning on switching to the similarly-named but (IMO) easier to use Windows Firewall Control. I'm still a little iffy about WD, but so far so good--just running virus scans like a maniac every night and uploading everything I download to Virus Total.

Above all, I'd like to say this about this community: you are patient and kind with relative noobs to security issues. I hate to say it, but you never know how techie fora are going to be. Some ppl can be real jerks, honestly, but I had not a one "jerky" answer to my query.

Anyway, I'm posting here because I was told of a VoodooShield giveaway--the full-featured version is customizable and sounds great. Per the instructions for entry, here's the link: VoodooShield Giveaway.

Thanks all! :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks brother, and now you can see why so many call this home, it's knowledgeable, thats a given, whats not a given is the unique friendliness and compassion found here, it's why so many of us never leave :p
Don't be a stranger ;)
PS: you have to post in the actual thread and follow the instructions: MalwareTips Giveaway - VoodooShield Pro Giveaway

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
welcome to MT :)
and for the replacement of your AV, I would suggest keep Windows Defender as you're using Win 10, and add Voodooshield.

Windows Defender is slightly heavier than Avast, try it, if you think it's really heavy on your system, try to use Comodo Firewall only but don't use default setting, you can follow Cruelsister's setting here or if you're really paranoid on your system protection, you can follow Umbra's setting here
all above products are free :)

Edit: if you use Comodo with recommended settings you may disable Windows Defender because you won't need any AV and it will make your system runs lighter

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
Hello and welcome to MT.

It is a good feeling to find a forum where average users are made to feel at home and can learn a lot about products and uses, this particular forum as you stated is one of the few rare ones.

totally true.I literally couldn't believe I got zero snark on my first post. So many difficult experiences on techie fora--it's not universal, but it's common.

thanks everyone! hopefully I'll be able to contribute something to Windows troubleshooting, or Android if you have a forum.

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
Thanks brother, and now you can see why so many call this home, it's knowledgeable, thats a given, whats not a given is the unique friendliness and compassion found here, it's why so many of us never leave :p
Don't be a stranger ;)
PS: you have to post in the actual thread and follow the instructions: MalwareTips Giveaway - VoodooShield Pro Giveaway

Yep! I'm level 1 so had to post here too, tho.

and fyi I'm a sista :)

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
thwelcome1.gif~c200
@anoukq , i agree that the folks on here are very patient with "noobs". I am the biggest one of them but i enjoy reading about the security side of things even though i know very little. Have fun while you are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.