Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechguy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
Hello! Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I only use Mac for personal use (don't own a PC), but all of my business is repairing Windows computers. I've used Mac since my early days and it's just what I'm comfortable with. Everything is Apple with me except for my Galaxy S III Samsung phone as my carrier does not have iPhone. I do have W7 on a VM on my Mac with Fusion but no PC. But I've had many PC's over the years and have been running a repair shop out of my home for a few years.

I love removing malware most out of everything I do as a tech and I get most of the hard cases in the area as my fellow techs know this is my area of interest.

My favorite Antivirus is Avast and has been for a few years. Avast 8 looks very promising. I try to avoid most paid AV's and especially IS suites, just by nature although if I had to pick one, I'd probably pick ESET Nod32 or Kaspersky Antivirus. Although I do like what I'm seeing with Bitdefender's new free cloud AV. The people I had using Panda Cloud on their netbooks or on a slow network I've moved to Bitdefender. I've had too many PC's come back with reinfections after Panda was installed for it to be a coincidence.

I also prefer layered security as opposed to suites/internet security packages. Just a personal preference. I find most suites a bit too heavy on the system and I personally don't like relying on one company for all of the protection. I like Avast with MBAM Pro a lot. For a totally free option, Avast with Comodo D+ OR Mamutu/Threatfire is a good option too.

Since I really don't have a PC of my own at the moment I really don't have a chance to make a security configuration thread of my own but maybe I could post something about my preferred setup for customers/family and my favorite tools.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips.

Hope that you enjoy your stay.

The first stop that we recommend is the PC Security Configuration Wizard so that we can give you feedback on your configuration.

Have a look around the forum. You will learn quite a few new things here ;)

Once again welcome :)

thetechguy

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
Thanks!!

And I will post my favorite setup, but I don't own a PC at least right now, but I will post what I use for clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.