Windows
Fav. Antivirus
Avast & Eset

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hey, good to see another 'geeky security guy' around the forums :) I'm not particularly geeky myself (closet geek) but plenty around here are! Great to see that already you've begun sharing your knowledge. Anyway, I suppose I should say 'welcome' and I hope you enjoy your stay with us, I'm sure we'll all enjoy having you around :)

Reactions: vrb93

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
I am a project engineer. I design the software that runs our testing equipment for my work. I use LABView to create my projects.

Reactions: vrb93 and Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I am a project engineer. I design the software that runs our testing equipment for my work. I use LABView to create my projects.

Ah, that sounds pretty interesting. Testing has been something I've long been interested in but never really explored. Correct me if I'm wrong but Labview is the one that uses G (visual programming language)? I always get it mixed up with G-Code which I've used a few times to program CNCs (looked at a manual for G once instead of G-Code and no wonder I couldn't make sense of it).

What kind of testing do you do by the way?

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
Here is an example of LABView. Think of it as a flow chart for data. If you can follow a flow chart for electronics then this will make sense.

nrjsxmfm912163998723206173.jpg

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I haven't worked with that kind of logic type programming for years, back when I was a kid messing around programming traffic light signals lol. Never realised that it could get to such a complicated level in your everyday work.

Although in a lot of ways, it's similar to the node based pipelines I've worked with in special effects applications (but I'm no expert in that either).

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
Well considering I never went to school for it and they gave me a $5,000 laptop to use I say I am doing pretty good.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Well considering I never went to school for it and they gave me a $5,000 laptop to use I say I am doing pretty good.

I'd say you were doing great by the sounds of that :) I'd hazard an educated guess and say that you didn't make that particular project yourself ;)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi LABView707 welcome to MalwareTips! Wow, and I thought being a doctor was hard, that flow chart and a lot of IT stuff goes straight over my head :)

Hello Cowpipe!

Tony :)

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
It's not really IT stuff Tony. Lot's of companies user LABView including Lego.

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
In a nut shell LABView allows you to tell a certain piece of hardware what to do. Such as data acquisition jobs. Read and report temps, flows, pressures, etc. Go on YouTube and look up National Instruments. They have tons of LABView tutorials.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Ahhh I see. Well all I can say is your a very intelligent guy, who with that kinda knowledge can go far, very far :)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@Tony Cole
Hey Tony, good to see you around again!

I believe LEGO has a robot which you can control using LabView which is aimed at kids also :) I'm sure you could master that with relative ease given that working as a doctor you're already very intelligent :)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Cowpipe, I'm sure I could, may be after a few years :p Before I went to Medical School my IT knowledge was nothing, my friend taught me all I know :)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi Cowpipe, I'm sure I could, may be after a few years :p Before I went to Medical School my IT knowledge was nothing, my friend taught me all I know :)

I could teach you some basic programming if you were interested, with a sharp mind like yours you could easily end up having your first program working within a couple of hours even with no prior experience. You know where I am if you ever decide you want to learn ;)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I think children of today are so intelligent; especially when it comes to IT my niece who is 10 has an IPad :confused:

Thanks Cowpipe, that would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I think children of today are so intelligent; especially when it comes to IT my niece who is 10 has an IPad :confused:

My daughter who's 10 has now taken to pointing out stuff in IDA Pro when I'm debugging. I started teaching her some very basic assembler last month (she can do basic operations, nothing complicated though). Just amazes me how 'technology ready' kids brains seem to be, it's like they can absorb that kind of stuff like a sponge.

LABView707

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
Lol.............Anyone can use an iPad. The main reason Apple is so successful is that their products are extremely user friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.