HIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi,
I already tried ESET Smart Security 6.After Bitdefender I am again going to try it..Does anyone know here the proper use of HIPS in ESS 6?How do I configure it for better protection?

P

Plexx

maaster said:
Hi,
I already tried ESET Smart Security 6.After Bitdefender I am again going to try it..Does anyone know here the proper use of HIPS in ESS 6?How do I configure it for better protection?

I can tell you for version 5: Set HIPS to learning mode for 14 days, ensure you do launch and use the applications you mainly use. Once 14 days expired you can run Policy Based for best security or Interactive mode which will require your input for applications not known in the rules.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Thanks for the information...But after the learning mode had over if I set in policy based mode and then if I run applications that are not in rules,what will happen?or if I run interactive mode will it show alerts for applications that are in the rules?

P

Plexx

Policy Mode: Follow rules, if not block.

Interactive mode: Follow rules, if not ask.

P

Plexx

As a matter of a fact, that reminds me to re-test (video) ESET in one of those modes.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:
maaster said:
Hi,

I can tell you for version 5: Set HIPS to learning mode for 14 days, ensure you do launch and use the applications you mainly use. Once 14 days expired you can run Policy Based for best security or Interactive mode which will require your input for applications not known in the rules.

Nice thanks a lot i also configure my eset hips after reading this and changed from automatic>learning>interactive

clyde

Level 1
Verified
Nov 14, 2012
I am running v5 of the antivirus.Do you think it would be a good idea to install v6?

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
clyde said:
I am running v5 of the antivirus.Do you think it would be a good idea to install v6?

I am currently using version 6..no problems with it;)

htp2005 said:
V6 Beta test ing liense untils for 60 days ???

till the final version is released,you can use it free;)

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
rebel4life said:
im using eset antivirus v6 RC and i got a 90 days trial

I think they are going to release the final version on mid january....since mid january is only 50 days away,they are putting 90 days limit....but while I tried back in july,there was no limit till the full version is introduced;)

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
clyde said:

i would say you should use ESET SS 5 only because ESET SS 6RC is having 1 bug of high memory usage.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Unknown said:
clyde said:

i would say you should use ESET SS 5 only because ESET SS 6RC is having 1 bug of high memory usage.

No I am using 6 only...no problem...

P

Plexx

The ESET 6 RC Memory leak problem is not happening to everyone. Sadly , I keep having that bug whether I like it or not but on my other laptop it doesn't happen.

That aside, version 6 HIPS are not fully operational at least for me.

There is hardly any changes from 5 to 6 so you can use version 5.

Version 6 mainly adds idle scan, Identity Theft (which will solely be available in Smart Security upon launch) and some bits and pieces.

Scanning engine, signatures and behavior of the program remains the same.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:
The ESET 6 RC Memory leak problem is not happening to everyone. Sadly , I keep having that bug whether I like it or not but on my other laptop it doesn't happen.

That aside, version 6 HIPS are not fully operational at least for me.

There is hardly any changes from 5 to 6 so you can use version 5.

Version 6 mainly adds idle scan, Identity Theft (which will solely be available in Smart Security upon launch) and some bits and pieces.

Scanning engine, signatures and behavior of the program remains the same.

Version 6 also have 1 new feature of scan while downloading

P

Plexx

Unknown said:

Yes it does and it is a bit obsolete in my opinion since ESET works as an on Access scanner and can also be configured to on execute.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Biozfear said:
Unknown said:

Yes it does and it is a bit obsolete in my opinion since ESET works as an on Access scanner and can also be configured to on execute.

What do u mean by an access scanner please explain

P

Plexx

It means the scan will kick in the moment you access the folder containing the file.

Same method used by Comodo Antivirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.