HitmanPro Alert - or - Something Else?

CypherZero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
So ... trying to decide whether to keep HitmanPro Alert - or - replace it with something else? What do you recommend?

I run Windows 10 Pro with:

1) EmsiSoft Anti-Malware
2) HitmanPro Alert

It's renewal time plus just got a new laptop. I'm definitely sticking with EmsiSoft (for me, I just find I prefer it to Kaspersky) but before I renew and purchase a multi-seat license for HitmanPro Alert, thought I'd ask what you would recommend. Should I stick with it, or is there something better to compliment my EmsiSoft software?

Very much interested in what you guys would suggest.

Thank!

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I believe HMP.A is the most powerful complement to any suite (just be careful if your suite really accepts or needs it). It has a great anti-exploit feature, solid ransomware termination, and every good aspect Sophos represents as a serious cybersecurity firm. I would say; if it worked previously, go ahead and renew it.

Best of luck.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The inclusion of WLC in VS makes it a bit more really. Anti-Exe and AWL, sort of like PCMatic in that respect. I think VS (Beta with WLC) can probably be run alone these days without any complimentary software at all other than a browser extension or malware blocking DNS service.

I like HMPA, but the problem is, development on HMP has ceased, most of the team seems to have gone their ways. HMPA updates are fairly irregular, and it has some known bugs and compatibility issues that keep coming up. It doesn't play friendly with a lot of things these days and I always end up being forced to uninstall it. I am wondering if they are really just going to deprecate HMPA stand alone, and push people into SHP.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

ForgottenSeer 58943 said:
I like HMPA, but the problem is, development on HMP has ceased, most of the team seems to have gone their ways. HMPA updates are fairly irregular, and it has some known bugs and compatibility issues that keep coming up. It doesn't play friendly with a lot of things these days and I always end up being forced to uninstall it. I am wondering if they are really just going to deprecate HMPA stand alone, and push people into SHP.
I enjoyed and even recommended it for a while but ditched it few month ago, issue is to make it "impervious to all evil", it incidentally hamper/break even the most basic feature of Win10.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
MBAE is no better, even less granular and advanced in terms of security. I use Windows Exploit Guard, learned how to use it, and it doesn't break stuff, so no need anything else.
It breaks Chrome and Chromiums every several updates.
There's also a rule that crashes Firefox ocasionally and some other (unconfirmed) that's probably making it leak memory.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.