VoodooShield

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
For what I understand... you're looking for a primary protection? You mention malware protection, banking protection, ransomware, firewall... VoodooShield and HMP.A are not primary solution, but rather companion software.

First, focus on a first line of defense: an antivirus (if you are an advanced user that can rely on SRP or anti-exe you can skip this).

Then, in order to avoid overkill, focus on your second line of defense: you threw over the table an anti-executable (VoodooShield) and an anti-exploit kit (HMP.A). What are you trying to achieve?

IMO, I would rather pair my antivirus with VS. It covers possible hidden infections, payloads, etc. And it's more likely to not interfere with your antivirus.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You can use both if you want or just one, they can theoretically work together.

VoodooShield, I think, has a free version yet, but HitmanPro.Alert is paid (at 34.99 USD off the SurfRight site), though it comes with a great little scanner. It is prudent to exclude HMP.Alert to the antivirus and vice versa as the real times can conflict, silently or otherwise, especially after software updates. A good scenario for HMP.Alert: Windows 7 Home with less-than-updated security patches and you routinely use Internet Explorer with Java and/or flash player. Haven't used VS in a long time, but in general, an anti-exe is a nice and very lightwieght security layer and once you whitelist your apps via a Snapshot, you should be good to go. :emoji_ok_hand:

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
SOmeone with more experience jump in - but hitman pro is on its way OUT because it has been acquired by Sophos and its just a matter of time before its integrated into Sophos apps. they are also somewhat different. so not sure if its good to waste time or money on HitmanPro even though its good.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
SOmeone with more experience jump in - but hitman pro is on its way OUT because it has been acquired by Sophos and its just a matter of time before its integrated into Sophos apps. they are also somewhat different. so not sure if its good to waste time or money on HitmanPro even though its good.
Don't rush! Surfright, the company behind HMP.A has been acquired by Sophos almost 5 years ago. Everything that could be added to Sophos products, already has.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Really good advise all around already..

As I interpret it, you want to keep Windows Defender and add an additional capability.

From another thread, we've learned that Windows Defender may have just substantially improved. So this is good.

HMP.A is pretty good. But... at $35 a year, that is more expensive than Kaspersky, Norton, ESET... capabilities that have much more spectrum coverage, and in my opinion make HMP.A an unneeded extra. If the choice is one or the other, I'd definitely choose the latter (a higher power AV) and ditch Windows Defender. Or, I'd choose VooDoo over HMP.A just based on the cost/coverage aspect of it.

VooDoo is also pretty good. There is a free and paid version. It works well with other capabilities.

Seems like you are on a good path toward better security.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
If you havent paid for Hitmanpro alert don"t, not that its not a good program but,you get way more for your money with voodoshield,even the free version,if you bought it already,try using both like bribon77 suggests.Both work well with windows security.gl

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I used them together on the same system running Emsisoft a few years ago, it was a quiet and orderly combination, with negligible impact. I think in conjunction with a good and basic, no-frills (such as Defender or Kaspersky free) antivirus that doesn't use too much in resources, it could be a very secure thing happening. Just have to know about false positives as both will throw them now and then.

Again, though, HMP.Alert could be more useful on a system running vulnerable or outdated software: Java, flash player, unpatched operating systems, etc. When Windows 7 support is ended Jan. 2020, then it would be a really good time to shop. Microsoft will charge a hefty yearly fee for patches, too, particularly if you're Enterprise.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
HitmanPro.Alert causes a real lot of issues, and does not really protect so well, despite all the buzz. And it costs $$. It is a niche product for security nerds.
Voodooshield causes almost zero issues, and offers great protection. And it has a free version that does the job just fine. It's advanced security made for the average guy.
Yeah, you could use them both, if you want to, but it's not necessary.
I think the choice is clear.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.