Advice Request HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy2

Thread author
Jan 8, 2017
Hello, it's my first post on this forum so I'm sorry for any mistakes.

I thought of adding something extra to my now running Kaspersky IS (thank you for tips on how to make it better) and I thought of adding HitmanPro as a second line guard (as it never failed me or my friends in case of emergency). As I see right now HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert are on separated licences.

I wanted to ask you (as people who knows more than I do) which one is more worth buying? As right now I'm lost after reading opinions that HMP.A is worthless without HMP (as some people suggested Alert is only alerting and require the mother-program to actually run scan and remove problems).

As currently I'm slightly unable to spend nearly 70$ a year as additional to annual Kaspersky's licence.

Thank you for answers.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think HMPA is not necessary if you already have kaspersky
HMPA just slightly improves the security. If you get it for free, it's OK but it's overpriced for me

bonus: It significantly slowed down the performance of my i7 laptop and other members reported the similar problem

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
HitmanPro is included in HitmanPro.Alert
Not anymore, sadly. They need separate licenses now. :(

I would choose HMP.A as a companion of Kaspersky. Kaspersky has no full-blown anti-exploit, but HMP.A has. And I would rather have a second opinion scanner for free if available, than buy one. I'm talking about ZAM free. :D

Last edited:
W

Wave

Hi,

Personally I would stick to using Kaspersky Internet Security as your main real-time protection while using HitmanPro (the normal scanner version) on-demand; if you'd like to have additional real-time protection alongside your main protection then you can always use HitmanPro.Alert which will provide you more protection against attacks such as exploits and ransomware, however I really don't think it's essential nor really necessary if you are using Kaspersky Internet Security already.

Kaspersky Internet Security combined with a good on-demand scanner (e.g. HitmanPro or Emsisoft Emergency Kit) should work really well.

That being said, at the end of the day you should use the software which you are comfortable with using... I recommend you test out different combinations so you can get a better look at what you prefer; make sure to remember that you are the best line of defense in terms of keeping your system protected against malicious software and that no security software can keep you 100% protected, so regardless of what setup you use you must always keep your eyes open and on watch.

Hope this helped and stay safe,
Wave. ;)

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Not anymore, sadly. They need separate licenses now. :(

I would choose HMP.A as a companion of Kaspersky. Kaspersky has no full-blown anti-exploit, but HMP.A has. And I would rather have a second opinion scanner for free if available, than buy one. I'm talking about ZAM free. :D
But my HitmanPro.Alert license still works on both?

rcf9G96.jpg

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Personally with KIS installed I would just use HitmanPro as an on demand scanner.
There is a 30 day trial and after that it is just a scanner.
It will scan your PC and show any problems but without the option to mitigate these,unless of course you purchase it.

HitmanPro Alert is HitmanPro with an Anti-Exploit
The licensing is similar to ESET where if you have a license for Smart Security it will activate Nod32 AV.
Not sure why Sophos want to would change that policy.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I run KIS with HitmanPro.Alert granted there is some overlap but I think they compliment each other, and increase protection, in particular the risk reduction and safe browsing components of HitmanPro.Alert

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Welcome @Sammy2
If you can get both, it is a good Idea to have HMP as a backup scanner if for nothing else.
It will also allow you to schedule scans, but be forewarned the support experience is lacking.

Reactions: XhenEd

Hello, it's my first post on this forum so I'm sorry for any mistakes.

I thought of adding something extra to my now running Kaspersky IS (thank you for tips on how to make it better) and I thought of adding HitmanPro as a second line guard (as it never failed me or my friends in case of emergency). As I see right now HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert are on separated licences.

I wanted to ask you (as people who knows more than I do) which one is more worth buying? As right now I'm lost after reading opinions that HMP.A is worthless without HMP (as some people suggested Alert is only alerting and require the mother-program to actually run scan and remove problems).

As currently I'm slightly unable to spend nearly 70$ a year as additional to annual Kaspersky's licence.

Thank you for answers.

You don't need HMP nor HMP.A when using KIS.

HMP uses both Bitdefender and Kaserpsky signatures. You already have Kaspersky signatures with KIS. A better companion scanner would be Emsisoft Emergency Kit (free). That way you'll get both the Bitdefender and Emsisoft signatures and there won't be any vendor over-lap.

If you keep your software up-to-date, then Kaspersky's anti-exploit features are sufficient.

The now separate licenses and especially the pricing... well, it is not difficult to figure out that Sophos needs to recover their $32.5 million expenditure. That cost is being passed on to you...

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
You don't need HMP nor HMP.A when using KIS.

HMP uses both Bitdefender and Kaserpsky signatures. You already have Kaspersky signatures with KIS. A better companion scanner would be Emsisoft Emergency Kit (free). That way you'll get both the Bitdefender and Emsisoft signatures and there won't be any vendor over-lap.

If you keep your software up-to-date, then Kaspersky's anti-exploit features are sufficient.

The now separate licenses and especially the pricing...
HMP uses three 3rd-party engines: Bitdefender, Kaspersky, and Sophos.

HMP is more than just a scanner with three 3rd-party engines, though. It has other features that detect malware without relying on those three engines. At least, that's how Surfright markets HMP. :)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Did you buy the license recently? If I remember correctly, it was one of the Loman brothers who said that HMP and HMP.A need separate licenses for recent releases, especially when Surfright now is part of Sophos.
You can ask @Erik Loman here or at Wilders. But as far as I'm aware

HMP.A license: covers both HitmanPro and HitmanPro.Alert
HMP license: only covers HitmanPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.