HMRC Tax Alert: 'HM Revenue Report' (Example of Scam Email)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is an alarmingly convincing email from the word go, even if it was sent to my Junk mail's folder in Outlook.com. I know that the HRMC don't have this email of mine, so alarm bells were ringing.

Remember you can check the emails source for the real address. [ Outlook > Actions > View Message Source ] and [ Gmail > drop down arrow > Show Original ]

Here's the address To and From.
upload_2014-2-24_23-54-51.png

Checking the email to see if there were any downloads and no surprise, there is. Also notice image link is broken, most probable that Imgur.com have removed the offending image.

upload_2014-2-24_23-50-51.png

Outlook.com has detected this as unsafe / malicious and blocks me from downloading it.

upload_2014-2-24_23-56-37.png

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.