Solved Host file help

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nige_40

Thread author
Can anyway advise me on how to get my host file back to default or on how to remove this I see

I ran a scan with HitmanPro and it found what you see below

Host C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Host file is compromised www.google.ae#bck9 is directed to an hardcoded IP 216.239.32.20 < that leads to K9 Web Protection

So if you know of a fix can you advise thanks

P.S. I have ran Microsoft's "Fix It" tool to restore your hosts file to default. after reboot I run HitmanPro and it still shows.

thanks for the help in advance

Nigel

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
You can use this tool : http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/repair_hosts_file.html

Upvote 0
N

Nige_40

Thread author
do I let it run till it finishes ? even tho it says this > Log:
Repair Hosts File
Start (06/02/2013 21:50:28)
Running Repair Under System Account
Done (06/02/2013 21:50:34)

Total Repair Time: 00:00:06

Upvote 0
N

Nige_40

Thread author
Fiery said:
According to the log, I think it finished. Did the tool help?

It has worked now, I re ran the tool and looked at C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and the same host file was there but I found info out from this >
To reset the Hosts file back to the default, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc, and then click OK.
Rename the Hosts file to Hosts.old.
Create a new default hosts file. To do this, follow these steps:
Right-click an open space in the %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, point to New, click Text Document, type hosts, and then press Enter.
Click Yes to confirm that the file name extension will not be .txt.
Open the new Hosts file in a text editor. For example, open the file in Notepad.
Copy the following text to the file:

But when I tried to name it to Host.old it said the file is open in WSA so I shut down WSA and ran the Host file fix I got from Jack and it fixed it.

So now the new host file is there and the old one called host.old

I ran a test with HitmanPro and all is clean :)

can I delete the old host file ?

but many thanks for your advise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.