HOSTS file empty, what app stripped all my mods?

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Today I opened my HOSTS file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) as usual just to find it totally empty (0 byte) I wonder what app did this, I have tesed and currenlty run a few apps, that comes on my mind here are the few that I remember:

- Emsisoft
- OS Armor
- SysHardener
- Comodo Firewall (removed)
- Bit Defender (removed)
- G Data IS (removed)

I was unable to find any backup copy, I wonder what app and why it stripped all my hosts file without a warning or without making a copy first.

Reactions: ZeroDay

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Bitdefender put hash # in front of every entry of my host file without asking me but it didn't remove anything so from your list Bitdefender is not the culprit I guess and I also used Emsisoft & OS Armor and they don't something like that either so something else.

Reactions: ZeroDay and roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.