How and Where to Start Learning IT Basics???

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello,

What would be a general recommendation to begin tackling the IT knowledgebase - powershell, programming language, etc?

With IT you "learn-by-doing," right? So one has to jump in and get started, but where...?

Where to begin? That is the question...good starting point to build upon.

I ask from the perspective of someone who has minimal IT experience and wishes to learn in a self-directed fashion as opposed to formal classes. The learning is simply to develop some fundamental IT competencies...I'm not looking to become Hack-Mo D.

It'd be nice if an MT Admin or those who have the wisdom of experience chime-in on this one...save me, and others, a lot of time, energy, frustration, disappointment and pain...

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If you are not able to give up your time, energy, to experience a lot of frustration, disappointment and pain, then you will accomplish nothing.
Find a subcategory of your interest and begin to explore and study, increasing your interest circle by time...

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
Microsoft Virtual Academy is an absolute goldmine! ...I've been a member for a while and have found it to be one of the most valuable resources out there. MVA offers hundreds of free courses for anyone interested in improving their computer or IT skills.

As expected, many of the courses are focused towards Microsoft products: developing Windows apps, Advanced OS usage and deployment, Windows Server migration, Office 365 training, etc. Although there is also plenty of universal focus, like learning JavaScript and C#.

Anyone is eligible to take the courses, which you can undertake at your own pace, pause and resume at any time. Course sessions and materials include videos, PowerPoint presentations, and a short quiz at the end of each session as you progress.

Microsoft Virtual Academy

H

hjlbx

Thread author
HelloBoraMurdar,

I think learning PowerShell is a good place to start, but I am not entirely confident. That's why I am asking.

"No pain, no gain"... I know what you mean. What I meant was getting some direction...as opposed to bouncing around...

Ask others who went through it already...and all that good stuff.

You know, pitfalls to avoid...

In any case, I think you give very good advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Microsoft Virtual Academy is an absolute goldmine! ...I've been a member for a while and have found it to be one of the most valuable resources out there. MVA offers hundreds of free courses for anyone interested in improving their computer or IT skills.

As expected, many of the courses are focused towards Microsoft products: developing Windows apps, Advanced OS usage and deployment, Windows Server migration, Office 365 training, etc. Although there is also plenty of universal focus, like learning JavaScript and C#.

Anyone is eligible to take the courses, which you can undertake at your own pace, pause and resume at any time. Course sessions and materials include videos, PowerPoint presentations, and a short quiz at the end of each session as you progress.

Microsoft Virtual Academy

Hello Cain,

I know of MVA, but other than that little else. Thanks for the grip up.

hjlbx

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If your interest is in programming language then the good start to try a self study for Java or C/C++ languages because all the concepts covers all even the complex structures which can help to develop better programs.

Majority of software are compiled under on those mentioned languages.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.