Not open for further replies.

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hi All,

Right now I am using Emsisoft's surf Protection to block few Ad Domains. This was I am not getting any ADs. I know I can use some adblocker but for me blocking few Ad Domains works great.

Is there any was using Windows tools only I can clock connection to domains? ( Other than modifying the host file)

Thanks
Anupam.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Hi All,

Right now I am using Emsisoft's surf Protection to block few Ad Domains. This was I am not getting any ADs. I know I can use some adblocker but for me blocking few Ad Domains works great.

Is there any was using Windows tools only I can clock connection to domains? ( Other than modifying the host file)

Thanks
Anupam.
You can use the windows firewall to block connecion to some ip adress.

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
You can use the windows firewall to block connecion to some ip adress.

I think better approach will be editing host file and assigning dummy IP to the domains I want to block :p. Since Windows Firewall Advanced setup is very tough to do.

Reactions: frogboy

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
I think better approach will be editing host file and assigning dummy IP to the domains I want to block :p. Since Windows Firewall Advanced setup is very tough to do.
Yeah i jsut recommended that because you said " Other than modifying the host file". You could use a dns?

Reactions: Anupam

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Yeah i jsut recommended that because you said " Other than modifying the host file". You could use a dns?

You mean to day, I need to setup a DNS server? Right now I am using public DNS 8.8.8.8

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not tried using the Windows Firewall as suggested above, but you can by modifying the Hosts files to block access to sites. Please take necessary precautions when modifying system files.

Reactions: Anupam

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Not tried using the Windows Firewall as suggested above, but you can by modifying the Hosts files to block access to sites. Please take necessary precautions when modifying system files.
Host File changing is quite easy. I am already using that. Just wanted to know whether Windows has any inbuilt feature.

Thank you all.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Hosts file is part of Windows, therefore a built-in feature.
The only alternate user friendly option I can think of would be Family Safety, via Control Panel or Internet Options > Security in IE (Restricted Zones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.