How do I secure a vm?

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I would usually use Virtual Box when going in dangerous situations, however for my next tests I will be using the deadliest of deadly malware, exploits, and viruses. How do I ensure nothing bypasses my vm?

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Usually the VM offers a high security standard, it is quite difficult for a malware can break the isolation by running malicious code on the host system (if you don't enable the shared folders and "drag and drops" like said above).
It is true that some specific vulnerabilities could allow this, but:

1) Generally these vulnerabilities are fixed in a fast enough way.
2) A malware that can exploit unpatched vulnerabilities, has to be designed just for this specific purpose.... objectively very difficult.

Of course, who is testing malware, he is playing with fire, and the risk exist, nothing is 100% safe in this context, but in my experience no malware has escaped my VM.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
If I use NAT mode, will my vpn on my host machine still anonymize all my vm traffic?
Hello,
yes, NAT mode just ensure that your VM and your host are isolated, except for the VM>Internet link. But you are reaching internet the same way, in bridge or NAT. If your VPN is ON inside the VM, you go through the VPN. If the VPN is OFF, you are exposing your public IP.

On the link: Chapter 6. Virtual networking check the "Table 6.1. Overview"

Reactions: LukeLovesSecurity

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Hello,
yes, NAT mode just ensure that your VM and your host are isolated, except for the VM>Internet link. But you are reaching internet the same way, in bridge or NAT. If your VPN is ON inside the VM, you go through the VPN. If the VPN is OFF, you are exposing your public IP.

On the link: Chapter 6. Virtual networking check the "Table 6.1. Overview"
So I would have to have the VPN inside the VM aswell? Or am I covered if I just use it on my host?

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
So I would have to have the VPN inside the VM aswell? Or am I covered if I just use it on my host?
Hello,
To be honest, I did not test with the VPN on the host. I did all my tests with the VPN inside the VM, in NAT mode, and no VPN on the host.
I'm using the Windscribe windows client in the VM.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.