How do I stop receiving this type of spam?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
been using it since 2012. Spammers are no longer the stereotypes, they create new tricks to defeat spam blocking. hope this works for you.

Reactions: BlackShot

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@BlackShot

I've made you a few 'signatures' for these spam messages, these are like 'words' to block. I will add more for you when I have time, or more samples.

Code:
C 
R&#x
 E

0;E<span = style=3D

The last one is the most effective but note that all of these could lead to some false positives with badly written or obfuscated HTML emails, but these should be fairly rare.

Separate each signature with a pipe | character, and then forward a few of the spam messages to yourself to test, and get back to me with the results, so we can tweak or go for another idea :)

Last edited:

BlackShot

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
@BlackShot

I've made you a few 'signatures' for these spam messages, these are like 'words' to block. I will add more for you when I have time, or more samples.

Code:
C&#xA0;
R&#x
&#160;E
0;E<span

The last one is the most effective but note that all of these could lead to some false positives with badly written or obfuscated HTML emails, but these should be fairly rare.

So, I just need to add each 'signature' to a new filter on the 'has the words' field, right?

Thanks!

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
So, I just need to add each 'signature' to a new filter on the 'has the words' field, right?

Thanks!

For now, just put the last signature in (I've modified it to be more specific), copy and paste that into a new gmail filter under the "Has Words" field, and then click the search button to test, and see how much junk and how many false positives there are, and we can then chain a couple of those filters together if needed but I will explain that if we come to it :)

@BlackShot - Edited these instructions, sorry about the confusion, been tweaking the filters to get lower false positives for you ;)
@Fantasy - Try this also and let me know, I will try to help you too with the tweaking :)

BlackShot

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
For now, just put the last signature in (I've modified it to be more specific), copy and paste that into a new gmail filter under the "Has Words" field, and then click the search button to test, and see how much junk and how many false positives there are, and we can then chain a couple of those filters together if needed but I will explain that if we come to it :)

@BlackShot - Edited these instructions, sorry about the confusion, been tweaking the filters to get lower false positives for you ;)
@Fantasy - Try this also and let me know, I will try to help you too with the tweaking :)

Oh, I've deleted these emails accidentally, so I can not try the search right now, I'm sorry! :oops: But I just updated the filter to test your changes! :)

Thank you so much for the support!

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Oh, I've deleted these emails accidentally, so I can not try the search right now, I'm sorry! :oops: But I just updated the filter to test your changes! :)

Thank you so much for the support!

You are more than welcome my friend, and that offer remains open for you whether it be in an hour, a day, a week, heck, even months from now :D If any of those emails sneak through you can post the message source to this thread and tag me (or post on my profile to remind me), and I'll help you out as much as I can :)

No need to apologise for anything by the way, good riddance to that darn awful spam! The less of it cluttering your inbox the better :) Ps. If you find any legitimate emails being blocked, PM me, or reply here and we'll add them to a white list so they will get through unharmed ;)

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
Hello,

Some guy/server started sending to my email A LOT of spam messages from the same thing, that I'll show below. I simply can not create a filter for this, because every email is from a new account, from a new title and from a new content, but they all follow the same model. Oh, and the links are always different.

In one day I received more than 10 messages of this type:

ZLTPhBw.png

(The censured part is my name, but I can't block these type of emails!)

The content:

h051nci.png

Do you guys have something efficient against it?

Thank you!
What email service provider did you used?? I can't view your Images..

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
On my GMail I am using ThunderBird and the spam is very, very low. I never open my e-mail in browser. Also, never click on links that say unsubscribe just move to junk / spam.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.