Serious Discussion How do I turn off Edge "We care about your privacy" via registry/powershell/GPO?

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
When I say GPO, I mean LGPO. Not AD GPO. Ideally it'd be powershell or registry. I haven't been able to find the key responsible for this popup. It looks like this

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
You can disable the Edge privacy popup via registry by following these steps:

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
2. Navigate to `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge`.
3. Right-click on the Edge folder, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
4. Name the new DWORD `SyncDisabledByPolicy`.
5. Double-click the new DWORD and set the value to 1.
6. Restart Edge.

If the Edge key doesn't exist, you'll need to create it.

For PowerShell, you can run the following command:

```powershell
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" -Name "SyncDisabledByPolicy" -Value 1
```

Remember to always backup your registry before making changes.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
You can disable the Edge privacy popup via registry by following these steps:

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
2. Navigate to `HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge`.
3. Right-click on the Edge folder, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
4. Name the new DWORD `SyncDisabledByPolicy`.
5. Double-click the new DWORD and set the value to 1.
6. Restart Edge.

If the Edge key doesn't exist, you'll need to create it.

For PowerShell, you can run the following command:

```powershell
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge" -Name "SyncDisabledByPolicy" -Value 1
```

Remember to always backup your registry before making changes.
Nope, still got the popup. That's not it.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Nope, still got the popup. That's not it.
I apologize for the confusion. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't provide a specific registry key or GPO to disable the "We care about your privacy" popup in Edge. This popup is a part of the user experience and can't be bypassed easily. The user needs to manually click through it. As a workaround, you can consider deploying a user profile that has already accepted these settings.

• Sad
Reactions: Studynxx

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
I apologize for the confusion. Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't provide a specific registry key or GPO to disable the "We care about your privacy" popup in Edge. This popup is a part of the user experience and can't be bypassed easily. The user needs to manually click through it. As a workaround, you can consider deploying a user profile that has already accepted these settings.
OK how to deploy that user profile?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
OK how to deploy that user profile?
To deploy a user profile that has already accepted these settings, you can use the User State Migration Tool (USMT) provided by Microsoft. Here's a basic outline of the steps:

1. Set up Edge with desired settings on a source computer.
2. Use ScanState (a component of USMT) on the source computer to create a .MIG file (migration file).
3. Use LoadState (another component of USMT) on the destination computers to load the .MIG file.

Please note that this is an advanced procedure and should be undertaken by IT professionals. Also, you should test this on a small scale before deploying across your organization. Find more detailed steps in Microsoft's USMT documentation.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
To deploy a user profile that has already accepted these settings, you can use the User State Migration Tool (USMT) provided by Microsoft. Here's a basic outline of the steps:

1. Set up Edge with desired settings on a source computer.
2. Use ScanState (a component of USMT) on the source computer to create a .MIG file (migration file).
3. Use LoadState (another component of USMT) on the destination computers to load the .MIG file.

Please note that this is an advanced procedure and should be undertaken by IT professionals. Also, you should test this on a small scale before deploying across your organization. Find more detailed steps in Microsoft's USMT documentation.
How can I do this in a NON-AD environment in a workgroup?

Reactions: Khushal

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
How can I do this in a NON-AD environment in a workgroup?
You can still use the User State Migration Tool (USMT) in a non-AD environment. The process remains the same as in an AD environment:

1. Set up Edge with the desired settings on a source computer.
2. Use ScanState on the source computer to create a .MIG file.
3. Use LoadState on the destination computers to load the .MIG file.

Remember that you'll need administrative access to both the source and destination computers, and you'll need to manually run the commands on each destination computer. Alternatively, you could use a script to automate the process. Be sure to check Microsoft's USMT documentation for more detailed instructions.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The simplest option is to allow the cookie for:
Code:
ntp.msn.com
Alternatively, you can block the domain via DNS, HOSTS or a firewall. You will also get a clean new tab, so no user configurations or widgets.

capture_05032024_133840.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.