Question How do you disable DoH in Firefox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

rashmi

Level 6
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I thought of trying Firefox, but there is no option to disable DoH in Firefox. You can disable DoH in Chrome and Edge, but Firefox DOH (OFF) says "Use your default DNS." Chrome and Edge with DoH disabled don't leak DNS when I use VPN, but Firefox leaks DNS with DoH default and OFF.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
You can disable DoH in Firefox. Go to Options > General > Network Settings > Settings, then under "Enable DNS over HTTPS", select "Off". If you're still experiencing DNS leaks, it might be an issue with your VPN configuration rather than Firefox itself.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I thought of trying Firefox, but there is no option to disable DoH in Firefox. You can disable DoH in Chrome and Edge, but Firefox DOH (OFF) says "Use your default DNS." Chrome and Edge with DoH disabled don't leak DNS when I use VPN, but Firefox leaks DNS with DoH default and OFF.
Sounds the issue for you is the DNS leak in Firefox while using VPN?

Just check for Firefox settings related to WebRTC:
Use these instructions if you wish to manually disable WebRTC:
  1. Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit Enter.
  2. Click the button "I accept the risk!".
  3. Type media.peerconnection.enabled in the search bar. Only one entry should appear.
  4. Double-click on the entry to change it to false.
To enable WebRTC again, change it back to "true".

rashmi

Level 6
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
People have also reported a DNS leak issue here.

lokamoka820

Level 3
Mar 1, 2024
To disable DoH in Firefox, follow these steps:
  1. Open Firefox: Open the Firefox browser on your device.
  2. Click the menu button: Click the three horizontal lines () at the top right corner of the browser window.
  3. Select Options: Click on “Options” from the drop-down menu.
  4. Go to Network Settings: In the Options window, click on the “Network Settings” tab.
  5. Scroll down to Enable DNS over HTTPS: Scroll down to the “Enable DNS over HTTPS” option.
  6. Uncheck the box: Uncheck the box next to “Enable DNS over HTTPS” to disable DoH.
  7. Click OK: Click the “OK” button to save your changes.
Alternatively, you can also disable DoH by using the about:config page:

1. Type about:config in the address bar: Type “about:config” in the address bar and press Enter.
  2. Search for network.dns.disablePrefetch: Search for the “network.dns.disablePrefetch” preference.
  3. Double-click to toggle: Double-click on the preference to toggle it to “true”.
Note: Disabling DoH may affect the performance and security of your internet connection. It is recommended to only disable DoH if you have a specific reason to do so, such as using a custom DNS server or experiencing issues with DoH.

Reactions: simmerskool

SpiderWeb

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Ah! Go type this into your Firefox address bar:
Code:
about:config
Then search for network.trr.mode and set the value to 5. Here is a Firefox document explaining the settings.

Here is a useful Firefox document of other parameters that you might want to check also:

trr.png

Then check what resolvers your Firefox browser is using via this useful website:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.