How do you get known on Youtube?

• Thread starter MalwareBlockerYT
  • Start date
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Hi all,

I'm sure that lots of you forum users already know that I am a Malware Tester & Reviewer on Youtube. I post every single video here on MalwareTips & have gained 60 subscribers in around a month :) I am really thankful for all the amazing support & help that this forum has given me! Thank you to everyone who is already subscribed or who has watched any of my videos :D

However, I would like to know different people's ideas on how to get known on Youtube. There are many Malware Testers on Youtube who are quite big in comparison to my channel: TPSC, Security First, Britec, etc & people like Leo from TPSC & Security First are growing at an insane pace. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that could help me improve my content in general & also on how to grow on Youtube. My channel will be linked below for anyone who wants to give helpful criticisms & I already have some upcoming plans to improve future videos & have taken steps already to improve content.

Thanks,
Malware Blocker

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wave

Thread author
You get popular on YouTube by providing content which many people will enjoy (e.g. popular content); over-time you'll get a fan-base who will help promote things and it'll pass on more. Small details like: key-words on the video, title, description, and the video thumbnail, may come into play to help you also (usually).

That being said, overall, I wouldn't say that security product testing is the most popular topic for people to be interested in on YouTube... Most people just go and watch comedy videos or listen to music through it, so most of your videos will probably be seen pretty much by people you know/people on security forums like this (at least until you expand with a bigger fan-base).

Anyway, it doesn't matter how many subscribers/likes you have, just do what you enjoy doing and forget about the bad opinions. You'll always get hate no matter what you do as well (e.g. someone jealous could dislike bot your video or something) but when people hate it usually indicates you are doing something good.

Keep up the good work, TPSC has been making videos for years; eventually you'll have more views, subscribers and likes. Good comes to those who wait! :)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thanks for all the replies & yes good things comes to people who wait :) I'm not desperate for more viewers/subscribers but I just want to know what I'm not doing in comparison to someone like SecurityFirst who gained like 500 subscribers in a few months.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
You get popular by gaining a userbase first. A userbase is created through, like mentioned by @Wave, 'popular content'. Here is a sorted list of Britec's videos based on views:

Britec09

He gained a lot of ground through How-To videos first, 4 years ago might I add.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Have you considered a podcast on YouTube? Maybe weekly, bi-weekly or even just monthly to start. Britec is a good example, but he crosses many respective boundaries of computing. On the other hand, maybe you could come up with content specializing in security and find a guest from the field for each cast or some casts. Who knows, maybe Britec would do a spot on a podcast with you. Also, Dan Butler from VoodooShield seems somewhat approachable.

The streamers on Twitch sure have done a great job of turning the internet into financial success. Maybe you could look that direction for some inspiration. If you can make security seem cool to young people, you can do them a service, and you should get a good following too.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Keep making good and original content, have an attractive and good looking channel (banner, titles, tumbnails) and a good dosis of patience is the key to succes on youtube. All big content creators started really small, so don't worry ;)
And if you can get some help, for example making a video together with one of your 'competitors' to give it a name, can also give a great boost to your channel.
Just keep doing your own thing on youtube and subs and views will follow automatically!

PS: You will have one more subscriber in a few moments :D

W

Wave

Thread author
SecurityFirst who gained like 500 subscribers in a few months.
How do you know these subscribers aren't bots/inactive fake accounts? I'm not saying this is what he/she/they do, but it's a possibility and a common thing that many new start-ups tend to do these days actually, with easy access to all those "sub4sub" sites online (and make sure you don't do this as you're better without it, trust me).

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Great posts @kev216 and @Wave. I'm sure MalwareBlockerYT will find big success in the long run.

Wow, I just thought of something to add. What about a weekly poll (maybe even daily?) on MT that points to your YouTube? I think there are also sites that feature polls exclusively. You would have amazing data to use for graphics in videos. Don't know about polls there, but Quora is a site full of developers and other professionals who ask numerous candid and deep questions. That might be a good site where you could work to develop your following. I have even seen developers pan-handle on Reddit LOL. The Bitsum developer of Process Lasso did a Q&A on developing on Reddit and plugged his software.

I bet you could gather amazing data with polls that security writers would love to see themselves. There are many angles on security and features and specific types of protection. It's practically and endless sea of protection capabilities and strategies.

I love the way they use graphics on Twitch. Just thought I should say your last video with the overlays was awesome...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
All respect, he posts his videos on MT. Seems to me like a very harsh enforcement of policy.

It's not like MalwareBlockerYT put up a banner or an advertisement. The great thing about MalwareTips is that everyone is on the same team, and I feel like MalwareBlockerYT is just looking for a way to get good/helpful information to as many as possible so they can make good decisions and stay infection free.

Please don't respond that rules are rules. Rules are only good if they exist for a good reason. Even then, a good rule can be under or over-enforced. No disrespect I promise. :)

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
All respect, he posts his videos on MT. Seems to me like a very harsh enforcement of policy.

It's not like MalwareBlockerYT put up a banner or an advertisement. The great thing about MalwareTips is that everyone is on the same team, and I feel like MalwareBlockerYT is just looking for a way to get good/helpful information to as many as possible so they can make good decisions and stay infection free.

Please don't respond that rules are rules. Rules are only good if they exist for a good reason. Even then, a good rule can be under or over-enforced. No disrespect I promise. :)

Personally, I don't see the issue with the enforcement. His videos are visible on MT, through his profile, and even in his signature. If it looks as though links are being paraded around to an Administrator, I don't think anyone else is in any place to say otherwise.

Reactions: SHvFl and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
No I agree. I just hadn't even noticed them, so the links didn't seem out of place to me. Anyway, MBYT is posting helpful content. I don't know, but would there even be videos without a host like YouTube for them? End of the day, I can see how it might come across like MT could become an advertisement board. Then again, what would the difference between posting a single link to YouTube in a video thread and using an avatar of a product I am developing or whatever. Is this an OK thing to do? Just looking for clarification for MBYT's sake.

The removal doesn't bother me is what I am saying, and forum admins o/c decide what kind of site they want. Seems perfectly normal to me. Just hope MBYT doesn't feel pushed around by the enforcement of the policy or the way it was delivered or something. Not saying he does, but noone should feel that way.

Reactions: Venustus
W

Wave

Thread author
There are many Malware Testers on Youtube who are quite big in comparison to my channel: TPSC, Security First, Britec
Another thing is to not spend your time worrying about the other channels and to just do your own thing, forget about what they do. If they are successful then good for them, if you are successful then good for you; what matters is you like what you do, forget everything else.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No pressure just keep doing on creating your original videos, no need for additional other steps.

All you need is patience; building of subscribers is a hefty process and everything is based on how you present the videos.

-------------------

Gaining of users = based on category of videos you make. ;)

Happy Testing.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Nothing personal against you or your channel. Your reviews already exist under Video Reviews where members and guests can view them, if needed.

Self-Promotion YT link removed.

Forum Rules | malwaretips.com

• No commercial advertising and spamming. This includes using the forum, email and private message systems to spam other members.
YouTube 101: How to Get Your Video Found, Watched and Shared | The Huffington Post
Opps sorry I didn't realise that you couldn't post a link to a channel :( I understand it's ok.

Thanks to everyone who has replied :) I've read everyone's replies & there are some good ones ;) Really good advice.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Good work here on the Forum, but how already advised, you can add value to your job by adding in the post, in text format, the results of your AV tests.

For example:

• 80 samples,
  • static detection: 65/80,
  • dynamic detection 10/15,
  • undetected 5.

Clear and pleasant IMO.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.