Advice Request How do you partition your computer and why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Do you stick with the defaults or do you segregate your softwarez (and whatnot) from each other or add more partitions from that base, and if on Linux even consolidate your partitions (and also if you changed whatever Mac does)?

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
For my basic needs, I never had the need to partition my current computer. On my laptop, however, I did have several partitions. One of data and documents, one for the OS and installed programs, and another for a few games I had installed through Steam. It was one of those laptops that could fit 2 drives, quite a heavy and bulky thing though.

Current PC only has 2 drives, one SSD for general use and OS, the other for storage. Stuck with the defaults on both. OS being the only one having multiple partitions due to OS health recovery and health system partition.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Seven partitions:

1. First two for Windows 10
2. Next three for Linux Root, swap & Home (Debian Buster)
3. Non-encrypted Storage partition
4. Bitlocker-encrypted Storage partition

The why: I guess because I have so much space remaining after Windows and because I want to Dual-boot with Linux.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
SSD: doesn't matter. I put most softwares on D drive and Windows+some essential apps on C drive. The speed is the same until the drive is almost full
I overprovision 5% of the SDD to prolong its life (7-10% is recommended but I only have 250GB, no secondary drive)

HDD: The speed is maximum on the first 15-20% of the drive. Then, it will gradually decrease. Therefore, I usually partition ~40-50GB for windows, MS office, AV, apps running on boot, the rest to 20% for apps that need speed (browsers, photoshop,...). 80% left is used to stored data and other stuffs
use HDtune to find your fastest area of the drive and cut it out

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
Starting back in DOS2... When some idiot decides to Format C: and all the owner's (not me) data vanished in a cloud of erased FATs. I had my box partitioned the next day, and a second drive 3 months later.

I don't segregate softwares, there's little if any point; but user data should never under any circumstances be stored on the Windows partition. Ever. For any reason. At all.

HDDs are better, more reliable these days, but excrement happens and there is good reason to keep C: as a small (500MB) fast drive so if it does crash your data should be safe. Youse do do backups, don't you?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Partitoning makes it easier to make system images. You make small, frequent images of your C drive, where you keep your OS, programs, and your constantly changing, critical data.

On a separate partition, you keep all your old pics, vids, music, etc, which take up a lot of space, but don't need to be backed up every day or two.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.