Advice Request How does the telephone Smart Meter scam work?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I tried looking online, but the search results only threw up How a Smart Meter works, not the telephone scam version.

Received a call claiming to be an UK energy provider, and they immediately and persistently kept asking for personal information such as postal code and address, and that it would only take a few minutes for security checks.

Ended the call and blocked the number. Here is the Scam number: https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01914265602

It's the first one of this I've come across, so I'm curious to find out how the scam works?

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I tried looking online, but the search results only threw up How a Smart Meter works, not the telephone scam version.

Received a call claiming to be an UK energy provider, and they immediately and persistently kept asking for personal information such as postal code and address, and that it would only take a few minutes for security checks.

Ended the call and blocked the number. Here is the Scam number: https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01914265602

It's the first one of this I've come across, so I'm curious to find out how the scam works?
I’m not sure about this specific scam, but in the US I receive 3-4 calls a week saying my power is going to be disconnected due to overdue payments with very ominous tones. I thankfully have stayed employed during COVID-19, so my bills have been paid.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.