How Easy Is It To Crack A Wifi Network? Then read this to Protect yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nige_40

Thread author
Interesting read to all reply's, It just shows you, how people many people have no real protection like HeffeD said.

Well for me I hardly Have my WiFi on, and when I do I have a Random Name for the Router and when I have it on its WPA/WPA2 and the password is 26 cases long. So I'm happy at the moment. :)

Regards all

Nigel

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
HeffeD said:
Only specific MAC addresses are allowed to access my network. Any other connections are refused.

I'm just going to copy and paste some text from an article about MAC Spoofing, Don't reply directly to me but rather share with everyone your thoughts.

wbEsT.png

MAC address filtering for wireless networking isn’t real “security”. Anyone who pays any attention to current trends in wireless security at all should know that MAC filtering is less effective than WEP — and that WEP can be cracked almost instantly these days with commonly available tools.

This doesn’t mean MAC filtering is useless. Its resource consumption is almost unmeasurable, and even if it doesn’t keep out any reasonably knowledgeable security crackers willing to spend a few moments gaining access, it does keep out a lot of automated opportunistic attacks that are aiming solely for the absolute lowest-hanging fruit on the security tree. Since that lowest-hanging fruit consists of the majority of wireless access points, MAC filtering can be of value as a way of turning away the majority of opportunistic attackers.

Don’t rely on MAC filtering alone, however. Please, just don’t. It’s a bad idea. People seem to think “Oh, well, sure a determined attacker can get past it, but not anyone else.” It doesn’t take much determination at all to spoof a MAC address. In fact, I’ll tell you how..

Read more

And while I'm at it, A screenshot of my own. A new page I didn't know existed until I checked up on my Gateways Firmware change log.

spQ7H.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.