Advice Request How good is Avira now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@yesnoo: Usually a program that incorporates with cloud may not be verified unless an internet connectivity is exist.
But there are also cloud-based antivirus programs having the ability described by @yesnoo .
For example, according to Offline protection - Webroot Community:
WSA-ISP is very strong while offline as it has it's monitoring of unknown files and when you connect to Internet it will check it or them and if marked bad in the Cloud it will rollback to the pre-infection state.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Online_Sword: Well I meant to say if some files that couldn't verified (not suspicious upon rated by heuristic or signatures) upon checking for APC.

So in other angles then Avira's concept for suspicious should act the same.

Reactions: Online_Sword

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
@Online_Sword i heard avira's APC only work when you have internet? is there any else protection on avira?
Yes. APC = Avira Protection Cloud. Users cannot connect to the cloud if they do not have internet.

is there any else protection on avira?
Well, APC is only a part of Avira.
Avira is still known as a local antivirus rather than a cloud antivirus.
So, even when you cannot connect to APC, you are still protected by the local engine with its famous heuristic detection technology "AHEAD" and its local signature database. There are some 3rd party antivirus programs using the signature database of avira to ensure a good local protection.

But...when you cannot connect to APC, there is nearly no other feature of Avira against zero-day threats...

You can test whether you can connect to APC by adding a malware that bypasses the local detection of Avira to its quarantine and re-scan it.
If that malware is detected after the re-scan, you are connected to APC well.
This test approach is useful for users whose network connection is not very good, including me.:D

Melisa

Thread author
Nov 1, 2015
Yes. APC = Avira Protection Cloud. Users cannot connect to the cloud if they do not have internet.

Well, APC is only a part of Avira.
Avira is still known as a local antivirus rather than a cloud antivirus.
So, even when you cannot connect to APC, you are still protected by the local engine with its famous heuristic detection technology "AHEAD" and its local signature database. There are some 3rd party antivirus programs using the signature database of avira to ensure a good local protection.

But...when you cannot connect to APC, there is nearly no other feature of Avira against zero-day threats...

You can test whether you can connect to APC by adding a malware that bypasses the local detection of Avira to its quarantine and re-scan it.
If that malware is detected after the re-scan, you are connected to APC well.
This test approach is useful for users whose network connection is not very good, including me.:D

@Online_Sword avira killed(killed by cloud) one of my file yesterday, and i sent it to the avira virus lab, and then they replied me back, it's a false positive, and i rescan the objective on avira quara, it says not clean...i am so confused..

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Not good because they lack a zero day protection,something they should have many years ago.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
@Online_Sword avira killed(killed by cloud) one of my file yesterday, and i sent it to the avira virus lab, and then they replied me back, it's a false positive, and i rescan the objective on avira quara, it says not clean...i am so confused..
Have you updated it in the meantime?
Not good because they lack a zero day protection,something they should have many years ago.
Tell that their cloud and heuristics, they are consistently ranked in the top three since they included APC.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
@Melisa Within the next update (2 hours) it will be removed from their database, so in other words the false positif will be gone

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Have you updated it in the meantime?

Tell that their cloud and heuristics, they are consistently ranked in the top three since they included APC.
You need to remember that signatures can't always get every malware.

Willams

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2015
For me particularly, Avira is the best free antivirus. Due to its high detection rate. The Pro version, still receive updates first the free version.

Melisa

Thread author
Nov 1, 2015
For me particularly, Avira is the best free antivirus. Due to its high detection rate. The Pro version, still receive updates first the free version.
i am not using high detection rate...just medium @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.