shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm coming at this a bit late so I hope someone is still monitoring it. I've used Avira Free in the past and have never had any issues. However, I'm now forced to do more financial transactions online and am curious about Avira Pro which advertises that banking and shopping are included in its protection. Can anyone tell me exactly how the Pro version differs in this regard from the Free which evidently does not provide such protection? Thanks.
Avira pro will probably want you to use their home-built browser, Avira Scout, for financial transactions.
It is hard to know exactly how safe that browser is, but we can say with confidence that Avira doesn't have the same resources and manpower that Google devotes to keeping their browser up-to-date and secure.

Wayner

Feb 14, 2017
Okay. So, I would assume that Scout is not available from the 2017 free version (haven't tried that yet so I don't know) and that Scout is somehow a "stand alone" or "sandboxed" browser in order for them to make this claim. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.

Wayner

Feb 14, 2017
btw... I gained this from their website in relation to their Pro version and the financial transactions protection :

Blocks fake shopping sites/banking portals

Stops infected & phishing websites

Prevents hack attacks on unsecure networks

Now they don't say "how" they will do this so I'm wondering if my previous post is the answer?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay. So, I would assume that Scout is not available from the 2017 free version (haven't tried that yet so I don't know) and that Scout is somehow a "stand alone" or "sandboxed" browser in order for them to make this claim. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.
yes, scout can function as a stand alone browser, and you can even get it for free, if you want:
Avira Scout - Security and privacy made simple
but the person who can give you a more informed opinion is @AtlBo, try sending him a private message or something to get his attention, he knows a lot about the avira pro product

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@shmu26 Avira Scout browser is a glorified browser with pre-existing extensions available for Chrome and Firefox.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.