TLDR: don't click ads if you don't trust them 100%
This is a cautionary tale of how I lost close to €4,000 in a sophisticated Facebook scam. I still find it hard to believe I fell for a scam like this. I have 2FA on all my accounts, use a password manager, and I'm generally very cautious with account security.
Read the full story here:To recap:
I am still waiting on a decision from Facebook if they are going to refund the charge. In the meantime, I have done the following:
- Total spent: €8,235.82 (of which I was charged €3,990.17)
- Total impressions: 3,184,933
- Total reach: 2,674,194
- Total conversions: 2,126 "send message" clicks
- Changed my Facebook and PayPal passwords
- Invalidated all signed in devices/tokens
- Reported the fake TikTok Ads Business page to Facebook - no reponse yet
- Reported the fake TikTok Ads Business app to Google - the app was taken down 2 days later
- Initiated a PayPal chargeback process - PayPal responded: "we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use"