Advice Request How much more secure is Google Chrome?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
There is no significant speed factor between the browsers in my opinion. Even, Microsoft Edge and Firefox performed better than chrome on my PC when I made Octane 2.0.
Do you think is it worth to use Google Chrome just for being more secure? Or, Is it really Chrome more secure than other browsers?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Chrome updates their ' unsafe' site list in real time when firefox have 30min cycle or so?

I think edge, firefox, chrome compete on same line when it comes into security since these products have constant updates from big companies

When it comes into alternative browsers that are forked from firefox code/ chromium they probably dont have that big developer team behind patches/updates

You should try them all ( edge, chrome, firefox) and choose the one that fits for you

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
There is no significant speed factor between the browsers in my opinion. Even, Microsoft Edge and Firefox performed better than chrome on my PC when I made Octane 2.0.
Do you think is it worth to use Google Chrome just for being more secure? Or, Is it really Chrome more secure than other browsers?

The consensus on this forum may be that Chrome is the most secure browser but all the major browsers except IE are safe if you are a knowledgeable and safe user. No protection will save a risky or careless user. I use Edge with only two extensions more often than Firefox with six. Edge has Smartscreen so it has a built-in advantage. Edge also is a safe way to read PDFs but only if Edge is your default browser. Find what works best for you. Others may well disagree with my opinion of course.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Which Web Browser Is the Most Secure? Chrome, Edge or Firefox?
Final Thoughts
In the end we feel the best option for desktop is Google Chrome. Its update cycle is fast and its sandboxing technology is mature. It also has excellent tracking and malware protection. For many of you, this validates your choice as Chrome is the most popular browser. If it’s not yours, however, you might want to give it a try.
For mobile, we decided to go with Brave because of its excellent blocking features and https connections. Chromium was a close second.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Edge and Chrome are the most secure. Internet Explorer is the most exploitable. The others are in between.

I don't think that people are choosing Chrome over Edge because of security. People usually choose Chrome over Edge because of features. In terms of pure security, it is hard to beat Edge on Windows 10 with Application Guard.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But despite the fact that Firefox is usually trying to catch up with Chrome in terms of security, a lot of people prefer Firefox anyways, for other reasons. That's fine, because Firefox is very secure. People seem to have strong personal feelings about which browsers they like and don't like; it's not just a cold, scientific decision.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I personally like Firefox a lot more when compared to Google Chrome. When using Google Chrome I know that everything is getting data mined like crazy. I think we may have seen the posting of how big of a threat that Google Chrome poses on intrusions of privacy. I know Firefox ranks up there pretty high too. However, if I have a choice my heart will always be with Firefox. Yes, we will always need various add-ons for added security. I think anyone who is security paranoid like myself will always add various add-ons to their web browser for more security.

@silversurfer is correct that we must admit that Chrome is more secure when compared to Firefox.

@shmu26 You hit it right on the nail - people will always prefer one web browser over another

Great posting and interesting discussion.

~Brian

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I believe that Chrome is the most secure and most updated browser out there. But for me, using Chrome is impossible. I hate Google. I don't use their services and try to avoid anything related to it. I know it is impossible to block every single way that Google uses to track you and whatsoever, but, at least, I avoid the most common services they offer like Gmail and GDrive. It is not always a good idea to sacrifice your privacy for the sake of more security.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I believe that Chrome is the most secure and most updated browser out there. But for me, using Chrome is impossible. I hate Google. I don't use their services and try to avoid anything related to it. I know it is impossible to block every single way that Google uses to track you and whatsoever, but, at least, I avoid the most common services they offer like Gmail and GDrive. It is not always a good idea to sacrifice your privacy for the sake of more security.
any chromium based browser can use google safe browsing, so basically you can get rid of google that way. Its up to you do you trust people that develop them

Reactions: Al-Faqir

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
any chromium based browser can use google safe browsing, so basically you can get rid of google that way. Its up to you do you trust people that develop them
Firefox is my favourite browser. I am also using Vivaldi only to access MalwareTips and nothing else. I like Vivaldi and I tried to uncheck every option related to Google in the settings.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
On Windows 7 I can run Firefox as a standard user (with run as other user). Combined with ACL (access control rights on folders for that standard user) and Windows 7 parental control (also for that standard user), Firefox is definitely safer than running Crhome from my UAC protected Windows 7 Admin account.

On Windows10 I can add more Windows Defender exploit protection to Edge than to Chrome, which makes WD exploit protected Edge probably safer Chrome out of the box. So I would dare to say for a security tweaker Firefox is safer than Chrome on Windows7 and Edge is safer on Windows10.

When used under UAC protected admin account without using build-in windows security tweaks, I would say Chrome is safest when used out of the box in a Vanilla Windows OS.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Firefox is my favourite browser. I am also using Vivaldi only to access MalwareTips and nothing else. I like Vivaldi and I tried to uncheck every option related to Google in the settings.
you should check scriptsafe, you can disable domains like everything from google. Many sites using google services nowadays but atleast you can see domains connected to site you visit to
ScriptSafe

Reactions: oldschool

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
you should check scriptsafe, you can disable domains like everything from google. Many sites using google services nowadays but atleast you can see domains connected to site you visit to
ScriptSafe
You know I am sick and tired of all this nonsense! The user should never be worried about even the very basics of today. Browsers, security products, cloud storage and the list is just endless. The world's gone mad! I will check the extension out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You know I am sick and tired of all this nonsense! The user should never be worried about even the very basics of today. Browsers, security products, cloud storage and the list is just endless. The world's gone mad! I will check the extension out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Its all about money, humanity is dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.