Advice Request How My PC got infected?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n0k0m3

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2017
ZAM found 8 threats, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware found 34 threats, HMP found 2 threats but my main AV Avast didn't fouund anything..

I think you are being overly paranoid at the moment. Take a breath and try to analyze each of the threats reported by those 3 on-demand scanners (ESPECIALLY from 2 from HMP). Also it is better to actually post your screenshot of the scan results here so people can give you the best advices.

No offense but your practice in using and diagnosing malware infection is terrible and need to be revised. Not all threats reported by ZAM, MB or HMP is ACTUAL threats and ofc they sometimes miss traces while reporting non-malicious things (ie Tracking Cookies), that's why we have a team here to diagnose that. Starting by learning how to generate logs and submit scan data will give you (and other people trying to help) more good than just ranting about "oh I got infected but I don't know how and why I got it"

BearHug

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
From your screenshots on your other post, I saw that Zemana Antimalware mostly picked up potentially unwanted modifications, not sure about the rest of the other detections. But from that it might just be an application that overstepped it's boundaries and changed a lot of the default settings (therefore POTENTIALLY unwanted modifications).

You should try to find out the source of these changes (if not already detected by the second opinion scanners).

Changing your AV probably would not help you, the truth is there is no AV that can pick up all the malware in the world. Instead you should focus on your browsing habits to prevent future infections, such as always checking the file on virustotal before installing it, even if it came from a "trusted website".

Also there are additional settings in your AV that could potentially prevent this from happening again, such as harderned mode, enabling cybercapture, increasing HIPS and sensitivity to maximum and doing scans with second opinion scanners (Zemana, Malwarebytes, etc) every month or so.
Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I will definitely follow it!

Reactions: Syafiq

BearHug

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
I think you are being overly paranoid at the moment. Take a breath and try to analyze each of the threats reported by those 3 on-demand scanners (ESPECIALLY from 2 from HMP). Also it is better to actually post your screenshot of the scan results here so people can give you the best advices.

No offense but your practice in using and diagnosing malware infection is terrible and need to be revised. Not all threats reported by ZAM, MB or HMP is ACTUAL threats and ofc they sometimes miss traces while reporting non-malicious things (ie Tracking Cookies), that's why we have a team here to diagnose that. Starting by learning how to generate logs and submit scan data will give you (and other people trying to help) more good than just ranting about "oh I got infected but I don't know how and why I got it"
Sorry I didn't have the screenshots of other scans!

Reactions: Syafiq

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
To start with, you must understand malware has evolved enough in a way that saying "I'm careful when i surf" or "I don't download cracked software" doesn't mean you're protected.

• Bitcoin/cryptocurrency miners in-browser
  • Malvertising
  • Browser scripts
  • Non HTTPS sites
  • CCleaner server hack case
  • System and browsers vulnerabilities
There are literally hundreds of ways your system can get infected even if you have an antivirus and you do not visit harmful sites.

It's not just about buying an antivirus, installing it and forget. If you ask any trusted member of the community he'll surely tell you he's far more protected than just a regular antivirus solution.

I wouldn't say "uninstall Avast". Avast is a great piece of software. Maybe you're not using it correctly?

1. Enable PUP detection
  2. Set File Antivirus and Web Protection sensitivity to maximum

Do not just delegate all the work to Avast. Help your antivirus vendor help you.

Pair Avast with VoodooShield. Save a couple of second opinion scanners to scan your system once a week.

Update your regular browser daily and complement it with security extensions your antivirus probably won't catch:

• uBlock Origin
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • PopUp Blocker
  • NoScript
  • minerBlock

Are you a happy clicker?

• Dr. Web Antivirus Link Checker

Modify your system's DNS and replace with Comodo Secure DNS.

What i just did here should be your daily though. "How can I prevent malware?" instead of "how can i clean disaster?". Of course avoid overkill, but take into account what I just suggested means only two real time software (Avast and VS). This extensions should not slow down your browsing speed. It doesn't slow mine.

Never forget about safety practices, the do's and don't's for browsing safety (RoboMan's Do's and Don't's for browsing safety), but never think you've got it all covered, else everything I just suggested would be useless. You're a target online so be protected and ready. Prevent attacks instead of trusting your capabilities to avoid them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.