Advice Request How My PC got infected?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

BearHug

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
Yesterday I posted Is My PC Infected?
That issue is now solved. But I'm still thinking..:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: How i got infected??? From many months I was using My PC cautiously but yesterday I faced the above problem [ Is My PC Infected? ] and today when i scanned my pc with on demand scanners then ZAM found 8 threats, MBAM found 34 threats, HMP found 2 threats but my main AV Avast didn't fouund anything.. I was really shocke after this.. And One More thing, From few months as I said earlier, I was using my PC cautiously. I didn't even installed anything from untrusted source.. Not a single Untrusted Software. I didn't even visited harmful website and didn't even used cracked or patched applications. Yes, Trust I didn't perform a single "HARMFUL" Task!

What do you think??:unsure::unsure::unsure: My main AV is not capable of doing the job?? Should I change My AV??:unsure::unsure: or Anything Else?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
You don't need to change your av and that infection isn't related to Avast!it's all about the VPN ... they are doing shady things I also found the same problems with Windscribe! not saying Windscribe is a malicious program but VPNs change internet settings in their own ways.

BearHug

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
You don't need to change your av and that infection isn't related to Avast!it's all about the VPN ... they are doing shady things I also found the same problems with Windscribe! not saying Windscribe is a malicious program but VPNs change internet settings in their own ways.
But HMP found Trcking Cookies, MBAM found PUPs and Malwares..

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@BearHug I regard everything in the internet as not 100%safe [It more about minimising risks.). Visit a legit big news website? Maybe you got no addblocker and they got there adds "compromised " and deliver exploits/malware whatever. This has happened numerous times sadly.
Its either you invest time to get a hint of the dangers (like in the security news section here) or hope for the best in the long run :D
A nice guide form Umbra
Umbra's Concept of Layered Config

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
From your screenshots on your other post, I saw that Zemana Antimalware mostly picked up potentially unwanted modifications, not sure about the rest of the other detections. But from that it might just be an application that overstepped it's boundaries and changed a lot of the default settings (therefore POTENTIALLY unwanted modifications).

You should try to find out the source of these changes (if not already detected by the second opinion scanners).

Changing your AV probably would not help you, the truth is there is no AV that can pick up all the malware in the world. Instead you should focus on your browsing habits to prevent future infections, such as always checking the file on virustotal before installing it, even if it came from a "trusted website".

Also there are additional settings in your AV that could potentially prevent this from happening again, such as harderned mode, enabling cybercapture, increasing HIPS and sensitivity to maximum and doing scans with second opinion scanners (Zemana, Malwarebytes, etc) every month or so.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.