Is My PC Infected?

BearHug

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
Today when I opened my Laptop to surf the internet then My location was automatically changed to Singapore. I uses Express VPN which has a option to connect to Singapore server directly[An option "Smart Location"]. I thought it was that but when I checked then I noticed that Express VPN was not even running in the background. When I visited whatismyipaddress.com to check my ISP then it was "Suspected Network Sharing Device". Also My CPU and RAM use was very high than usual. And My internet was slow than usual.
So my question is that Is My PC Infected?

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@BearHug...are you familiar with the developers of Express VPN? "Suspected Network Sharing Device" could mean alot of things, but if you don't know about your VPN, maybe you could look into the company and find out more. You might feel better at least if you can validate your impressions of the company.

Only reason I say this is because I think I have seen how trusted programs can get away with so much, especially, for example, browser extensions, since they are considered part of the browser. Think I had a BitCoin miner for a short time, but I also think that it was only in memory. I had added NoCoin extension and once I removed that strange behavior ended. Sounds like EVPN is different, being a standalone application, but for a VPN I like to know the company I am dealing with is very well known around the world etc...

Good idea to check for malware too o/c (y)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
You are not infected.Maybe Express VPN set some hidden proxy settings? I'm asking this cuz I found the same problem with Windscribe VPN(it use a windows service call Winhttp web proxy auto-discovery and even if you disable or uninstall the VPN the windows still resolve some IP related to Windscribe VPN) but you can't find it! RogueKiller can fix it. also reset everything related to the internet: Download the new Complete Internet Repair now

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

You are not infected.Maybe Express VPN set some hidden proxy settings? I'm asking this cuz I found the same problem with Windscribe VPN(it use a windows service call Winhttp web proxy auto-discovery and even if you disable or uninstall the VPN the windows still resolve some IP related to Windscribe VPN) but you can't find it! RogueKiller can fix it. also reset everything related to the internet: Download the new Complete Internet Repair now

I am using the free version of Winscribe now. You can Rogue Killer will find the hidden proxy settings? This VPN seem mush faster then my old VPN, AirVPN.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

ScreenHunter_89 Feb. 09 11.12.jpg
Smart screen does not like the site you listed.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
doesn't use
Smart screen only works on Edge, not other browsers:notworthy:
Smart screen does not like the site you listed.
Then what?why would I care about the smart screen?
The website is safe:
VirusTotal
Should I ignore 67 engines because of Microsoft?
Also:VirusTotal
can Rogue Killer will find the hidden proxy setting
Exactly
This VPN seem mush faster then my old VPN, AirVPN.
Did I say it's slow or smth like that?:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.