How safe are user scripts for browsers?

Is it safe to load Tampermonkey with custom user scripts like AntiAdblockKiller in Google Chrome?

• Yes, extensions like uBlock work fine and no privacy concers are related.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No, other extensions might break.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, your privacy is exposed.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
My initial intention for trying Tampermonkey in Chrome was to add AntiAdblockKiller filter, but now Im trying new fancy user scripts.
I wonder, will this break my other security extensions (uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Decentraleyes) or are there privacy leaks related to the use of custom user scripts?

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
There is always privacy risk...like you know :) More extension's more conflicts more have to put your tin-hat deeper in your head. But EFF's extension's are trustworthy (but i do not trust anything, even my shadow i think it's spying on me). But in case finally, i say no more risk than use more extension than use tampermonkey/greasemonkey/Violentmonkey put scripts here, of course there also awarness for scripts source is power.

Just do it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So far loaded a few user scripts using the 3 monkeys (Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey and Violentmonkey) onto my browsers. No clash with the extensions you mentioned.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.