How safe is an VM?

AnimefordaysXD

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 4, 2017
I just want an direct answer since everything I've searched so far gives me distinct or unsure answers and others conflict with different answers I found.. Currently using Virtualbox 5.1 and am trying to test malware on it, I'm using my gaming laptop instead of my shared family computer(My machine specs can be found on my profile page) I have 0 important files and an ransomware I'm looking to get rid of. Also using Avast, HTTPS everywhere, Ublock, Malwarebyte, hitman pro, shadow defender, and an back up plan with AOMEI.
Would I need to buy an new router, or maybe an new computer?

Reactions: RXZ6Q and Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
There are 2 choises to make:
1) Format and clean install --> the safest
2) You can try to restore your system to a previous date

AnimefordaysXD

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 4, 2017
There are 2 choises to make:
1) Format and clean install --> the safest
2) You can try to restore your system to a previous date
no.1: I have no windows formatting disks available
no.2: I've just made an new back up today, so the restore will just return the ransomware.
Thank you for the tips though!

Reactions: Rengar

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I saw you have a pending request in MRA so I would expect the analysis of our expert.
BTW, considering you have no important data, the best thing may be a clean reinstallation.
Do you have a default recovery partition? Usually the factory default recovery partition is hidden, but you can have access to it by following some steps.
Here how to do a factory reset for Asus computer that I use, but the procedure is common for other PC.

Windows 10 - How to restore the system to factory default settings?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've found using a virtual machine to be safe. Currently do malware testing on VMware Workstation and use Hyper V as well. I've never had malware jump from the VM to my PC. I have made sure that both my host OS and my host AV are up to date if something was to occur.
Testing on a separate computer is good, like really good but if you connect it to your network you are running the risk of the malware spreading via the network.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.