Guide | How To How secure is your password?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
L

LabZero

Thread author
Hello,

In the digital world the security about the protection of private data is always a very important aspect and unfortunately often feel about data theft and identity theft most often for criminal purposes.

One thing that often underestimates is to use a good password that is difficult to guess or calculate.
Many times we use password that, also thanks to the computing power of today's computers, are easy to guess.

And your password is secure?

Thanks to this site I propose you can see if your password is secure enough.

With HowSecureIsMyPassword you will know how much time you need to find your password with a desktop computer today.
Just write the password in the field provided and soon you will see enough time to calculate your password,

HowSecureIsMyPassword: https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Cattura.PNG

If it appears to be little time to find your password, maybe you should change it to something more complicated.

There are a few things to keep in mind when you choose a password, here I propose some recommendations.

How to choose a good password

Avoid using:

Your name
The name of your pet
The name of your son
The names of their favorite fantastic characters
The name of your chief
Any name
The name of the operating system that you are using
The hostname of your computer
Your phone number
Any birthday date
Any personal information that can be easily found
Commonly used words
Any user name on your computer in any form (with capital letters, etc.)
Words in English vocabulary
Words in foreign vocabularies
Password with all equal letters
Common sequences of letters on the keyboard (for example: asdfg, 12345, qwerty, etc.)
Any of the above things written in reverse
Any of the things above preceded or followed by a number

A good password should:

Have both uppercase and lowercase letters
Have numbers and punctuation characters along with letters
Be easy to remember in order to avoid having to be written somewhere
Be at least 7 or 8 characters, although it is recommended to at least 14 characters
It can be typed quickly so as to avoid that someone can see what we write
It would be appropriate to use a different password for each registration on different sites, so that if by chance on a site that someone can steal your passwords, personal information on other sites are safe.

Even Microsoft itself has created a web page to test the security of your password.
To test your password simply type it in the password field and instantly displays the level of security of your password (low, medium, high, maximum).

It must be said that it is pointless to use password that you believe to be super safe if your computer is infected with viruses, trojans or other malware that may endanger your data, so in addition to using strong passwords is required, install a good antivirus and is always updated with the latest virus definitions.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
My tip to create password:
Select 3+ words-> convert it to base64 -> convert to HEX as ASCII text -> and again convert HEX code as ASCII to base64 :)

This make very strong password :D

Reactions: LabZero

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello,

In the digital world the security about the protection of private data is always a very important aspect and unfortunately often feel about data theft and identity theft most often for criminal purposes.

One thing that often underestimates is to use a good password that is difficult to guess or calculate.
Many times we use password that, also thanks to the computing power of today's computers, are easy to guess.

And your password is secure?

Thanks to this site I propose you can see if your password is secure enough.

With HowSecureIsMyPassword you will know how much time you need to find your password with a desktop computer today.
Just write the password in the field provided and soon you will see enough time to calculate your password,

HowSecureIsMyPassword: https://howsecureismypassword.net/

View attachment 57025

If it appears to be little time to find your password, maybe you should change it to something more complicated.

There are a few things to keep in mind when you choose a password, here I propose some recommendations.

How to choose a good password

Avoid using:

Your name
The name of your pet
The name of your son
The names of their favorite fantastic characters
The name of your chief
Any name
The name of the operating system that you are using
The hostname of your computer
Your phone number
Any birthday date
Any personal information that can be easily found
Commonly used words
Any user name on your computer in any form (with capital letters, etc.)
Words in English vocabulary
Words in foreign vocabularies
Password with all equal letters
Common sequences of letters on the keyboard (for example: asdfg, 12345, qwerty, etc.)
Any of the above things written in reverse
Any of the things above preceded or followed by a number

A good password should:

Have both uppercase and lowercase letters
Have numbers and punctuation characters along with letters
Be easy to remember in order to avoid having to be written somewhere
Be at least 7 or 8 characters, although it is recommended to at least 14 characters
It can be typed quickly so as to avoid that someone can see what we write
It would be appropriate to use a different password for each registration on different sites, so that if by chance on a site that someone can steal your passwords, personal information on other sites are safe.

Even Microsoft itself has created a web page to test the security of your password.
To test your password simply type it in the password field and instantly displays the level of security of your password (low, medium, high, maximum).

It must be said that it is pointless to use password that you believe to be super safe if your computer is infected with viruses, trojans or other malware that may endanger your data, so in addition to using strong passwords is required, install a good antivirus and is always updated with the latest virus definitions.

Regards.

Hmmm i do not think i am safe LMAO
Cxn5pKy.png

Yes that was actually a pass that i do use for a device.

Reactions: frogboy and LabZero

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I would be very careful about "testing" my passwords at sites like this. That one has been around for some time, but you can never be certain. Also, most of these tests assume well known technology when deciding what it takes to crack a pass. They don't and can't take into consideration the unknowns of very well funded intelligence agencies. Assumptions about what can and can't done, and what is or isn't happening has already bit us in the hind quarters once. As far as password security goes, I use Keepass to generate mine, so I feel fairly safe from all but the most determined attackers.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Thread author
I would be very careful about "testing" my passwords at sites like this. That one has been around for some time, but you can never be certain. Also, most of these tests assume well known technology when deciding what it takes to crack a pass. They don't and can't take into consideration the unknowns of very well funded intelligence agencies. Assumptions about what can and can't done, and what is or isn't happening has already bit us in the hind quarters once. As far as password security goes, I use Keepass to generate mine, so I feel fairly safe from all but the most determined attackers.
Good point, but even if the site would record the password, nobody would know If it was real and what service would correspond.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Absolutely, but I guess I figure why even give them something to play with? ;) There are plenty of other suckers and genuinely misinformed people out there, they don't need me.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
You could use a password manager like LastPass. ;)
i use Lastpass.
even then your master password must be lengthy and still be easy to remember.

it is better to to design the master password using special characters

example
(((((<<<<<-----[Creating]#{Strong}#(Password)#[That]#{Is}#(Easy)#[To]#{Remember}------>>>>>)))))

This one is easy to remember and lengthy

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
i use Lastpass.

example
(((((<<<<<-----[Creating]#{Strong}#(Password)#[That]#{Is}#{Easy}#(To)#[Remember]------>>>>>)))))

This one is easy to remember and lengthy

If you had to remember that I would think people would get : ( [ { confused.

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
you can generate random passwords, but how will you remember it.
Once generated use an AXcrypt .txt file to store passwords (Make a txt file and then encrypt it), everytime you need a password simply open the file, it will prompt for a password and then enter and it will decrypt, store in temp then autodelete itself

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.