Question How to Associate Linux Apps with ChromeOS Apps?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

johnywhy

Thread author
Aug 18, 2023
I successfully installed xfce Thunar on Chromebook Linux. Works great!

But, is there a way to associate file types in Thunar with the Chromebook apps?

For example, so PDF's open with Chromebook Chrome web-browser, instead of trying to find an associated app inside Linux.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

R3j3ct

Level 1
May 12, 2023
I got bored and asked openai and here is what it said.

PDF Example
I see, you want to open PDFs in a Linux app instead of using the Chrome web browser on your Chromebook. In that case, you can associate PDF files with a Linux PDF viewer like `Evince`, `Okular`, or `Document Viewer`. Here's how you can do it:

1. **Find the Command:**
Determine the command that launches the PDF viewer you want to use. For example, if you want to use `Evince`, you can typically use the command `evince %f`.

2. **Open Thunar Preferences:**
Open Thunar, go to "Edit" in the menu bar, and select "Preferences."

3. **Go to the "Advanced" Tab:**
In the Thunar Preferences window, click on the "Advanced" tab.

4. **Configure Default Applications:**
Under "Default Applications," click on the "Add" button (or equivalent) to add a new entry.

5. **Add the Entry:**
- For PDF files:
- MIME Type: `application/pdf`
- Command: `evince %f`

Make sure to replace `evince` with the actual command of the PDF viewer you want to use if you're not using `Evince`.

6. **Save Changes:**
Click "Close" to save the changes.

7. **Test the Association:**
Try opening a PDF file in Thunar by double-clicking it. It should now open using the Linux PDF viewer you associated.

Remember to replace `evince` in the command with the appropriate command for your chosen PDF viewer. The `%f` placeholder is used to pass the file path to the command.

If you later decide to change the default application for a specific file type, you can return to the Thunar Preferences and modify the association or remove it altogether.

All file Example
If you're looking to set all files to open with Linux apps by default on your Chromebook's Linux environment, you might need to adjust the default applications settings at the system level rather than just within Thunar. However, keep in mind that the process might vary based on the specific Linux distribution you're using on your Chromebook. Here's a general guideline on how you might achieve this:

1. **Access System Settings:**
Open your Chromebook's system settings. This can typically be done by clicking on the system tray at the bottom-right corner of the screen and finding the settings icon.

2. **Search for Default Applications:**
Look for a section related to "Default Applications" or "Preferred Applications." The naming might differ based on your Linux distribution.

3. **Adjust Default Applications:**
Within the default applications settings, you should be able to set the default apps for various file types. Look for an option to set default apps by file type or MIME type.

4. **Change Associations:**
For each file type, select the Linux app you want to use as the default. You might need to navigate through a list of applications or provide a custom command.

5. **Save Changes:**
Once you've made the necessary changes, save your settings.

Please note that the exact steps can vary depending on your Linux distribution and the version of the Chromebook's Linux environment you're using. If you're using a relatively standard distribution like Ubuntu or Debian on your Chromebook, the process should be somewhat similar to the general steps outlined above.

If you're not able to find the option within your system settings or if the process seems more complex, I recommend consulting the documentation or support resources specific to your Linux distribution and Chromebook model.

Reactions: johnywhy

johnywhy

Thread author
Aug 18, 2023
I see, you want to open PDFs in a Linux app instead of using the Chrome web browser on your Chromebook. In that case, you can associate PDF files with a Linux PDF viewer like ...
If you're looking to set all files to open with Linux apps by default on your Chromebook's Linux environment, you might need to adjust the default applications settings at the...

Thx! But that's not what i'm trying to do.

I'm trying to open docs with an Android app (not a Linux app), from Linux Thunar.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Thx! But that's not what i'm trying to do.

I'm trying to open docs with an Android app (not a Linux app), from Linux Thunar.
Your Android apps and linux apps are run in containers and have restrictions set in place for good reason. You can transfer files from Thunar to your android app simply by moving/copying them from Linux files to play files or downloads on the chromebook in your files.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.