Serious Discussion It’s now easier than ever to get Windows apps running on ChromeOS

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
If you’ve been hunting for a way to bring your favorite Windows apps to Google’s ChromeOS without a virtual desktop, your life might have just gotten a little easier. Today, software virtualization company Cameyo announced that its integration with ChromeOS now supports Virtual App Delivery (VAD) services, allowing Windows applications to coexist with Chrome ones on Chromebooks. Cameyo claims its ChromeOS VAD integration enables organizations to deliver any application — including Windows, Linux, SaaS, and internal web apps — over the web, without access to specific cloud data centers or devices.

It essentially looks like ChromeOS is running Progressive Web Apps, allowing companies to affordably make third-party apps more accessible on ChromeOS without needing to pay for virtual desktops. “While many organizations previously relied on virtual desktop solutions like VDI and DaaS to deliver their legacy software to end users, many are struggling with the significant overhead caused by delivering full virtual desktops,” said Naveen Viswanatha, head of product, ChromeOS solutions at Google, in a press release. “In today’s cloud-first world, users just need simple & secure access to their apps in a seamless way that optimizes their productivity.”

Cameyo simplifies this delivery of apps by not exposing ChromeOS users to a full version of Windows. File handling, clipboard support, and even integration into the ChromeOS file system from within virtualized apps is all handled by Cameyo, so the virtualized Windows apps just feel like ChromeOS ones running side by side with Chrome and other web apps. Meanwhile, Microsoft’s own attempts to move Windows to the cloud still rely on running a full Windows OS rather than selecting the specific apps you’d need.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
This is perfect! I've been doing my own VDI and accessing through my Chromebook Enterprise. Lets see how this develops and how Secure it really is. Id need to see a review of their security practices and any potential audits they may have passed (SOC 2 Type 2, ISO 27001, etc). Nice Post.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Chromebooks are a good choice for average home users, are there any of those here is a good question.
I conduct penetration testing from chromeOS using (Crostini). Its way more secure doing it this way. Take a look at a lot of the articles on it. Totally feasible and less worry on Sec-Ops on your end. Good luck back hacking a guy using chrome OS to hack you. Even the guys at defcon I saw were using chromebooks and not their Linux/Windows/Macs :p

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I conduct penetration testing from chromeOS using (Crostini). Its way more secure doing it this way. Take a look at a lot of the articles on it. Totally feasible and less worry on Sec-Ops on your end. Good luck back hacking a guy using chrome OS to hack you. Even the guys at defcon I saw were using chromebooks and not their Linux/Windows/Macs :p
I don't recall much discussion here in the forum about using ChromeOS or Chromebooks in the security field but I did read and post an article recently that highlighted a promotional campaign by Google aimed at the corporate sector, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
I don't recall much discussion here in the forum about using ChromeOS or Chromebooks in the security field but I did read and post an article recently that highlighted a promotional campaign by Google aimed at the corporate sector, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
Its not too popular but is used among some of the best guys in the field. Linus even said that ChromeOS is the new linux.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I utilize KVM myself with Kali Purple, and have nmap separate as well. Chromebooks, more than just a browser now days, quite versatile actually.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-05 2.31.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 2.31.55 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 166

Alexai

Level 3
Aug 12, 2023
I utilize KVM myself with Kali Purple, and have nmap separate as well. Chromebooks, more than just a browser now days, quite versatile actually.
So you can run a linux distro in a vm on a normal chromebook 😲

A windows machine too?

nmap? What's that?

If I can make a chromebok more versatile than just use only chrome, I can consider to buy one

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

So you can run a linux distro in a vm on a normal chromebook 😲

A windows machine too?

nmap? What's that?

If I can make a chromebok more versatile than just use only chrome, I can consider to buy one
Yes you can run full versions of linux distros on a chromebook. Chromebooks already have linux in developer mode which runs in containers allowing you to run and utilize Linux apps. You can add a desktop environment although it takes a little finagling usually involving scripts to get them to run. The alternative is to add KVM virtual machine manager and or Virtualbox. This requires enough CPU power and ram /local storage space to run full versions though, keep this in mind. You can run windows apps via Cameyo as suggested above and even full versions of windows via Virtual machines such as Virtualbox. There is also the alternative of Parallels on Enterprise additions that will allow you to run windows. You also can run Android apps via the play store. Matter of fact you can now stream apps from your phone directly to your chromebook via phonehub. Lets say you have your favorite weather app on your phone, but your phone is in the other room charger, you can now on the taskbar of your chrombook, tap the phonehub button, open a panel and literally open that weather app on your phone and stream it directly to your chromebook to view while it is still sitting in the other room. I can not say i miss anything about windows at this point, especially all the issues.

Nmap is a well known "Network Mapper", it has been around for ages, and even portrayed in movies such as the Matrix.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.