How to bypass Twitter's login prompt and access content without account

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Credit to @upnorth , his posting of "nitter" lead me to this article.

Internet users who want to access content on Twitter without account may have noticed that Twitter is now redirecting some attempts to do so to its login page. Twitter content is often linked in other publications. Users who follow these links may notice that they can't read the content anymore without a Twitter account.

It is unclear if Twitter is limiting access regionally or rolling out the change currently to all anonymous users. The access issue seems to affect topics and not individual threads at the time, at least on our test systems and confirmed by our colleagues over at Deskmodder.

Twitter redirects users to https://twitter.com/i/flow/login and displays the login overlay on the screen. Users may sign-in to Twitter or sign-up for an account using it. Twitter is not the only online service that is preventing access to anonymous users. Notable other services include Pinterest, Reddit or Quora.

Accessing Twitter directly without account results in a fairly limited experience. Some users may help themselves by creating an account using a throwaway email address or email alias, but there is a better way for quick access to Twitter content: using Nitter.

Nitter is a free and open source frontend for Twitter that returns Twitter content without advertisement or tracking. Best of all, all it takes is to replace the twitter domain name in the address with a working Nitter address.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
A few months ago, Neowin broke the news that Twitter now required users to sign in to use the search feature. Now, The Verge is reporting that you can’t even see anything on Twitter anymore without first signing in.

You can try out the new “experience” in an incognito tab, just head over to Twitter without signing in and try and view some tweets. A login prompt appears and if you decide not to sign in, you get bounced to Twitter’s rarely-seen homepage where you can sign in or make an account.

Making users sign in to view any content is a massive reversal for the company. After Elon Musk took over the platform, he hired George Hotz, albeit not for very long because the hacker resigned, to open up the search feature for non-users. Hotz did open up the search for all but this was reversed in April.

The rest

Imranmt

Level 3
Verified
Nov 14, 2016
Twitter will now require users to have an account on the social media platform to view tweets, a move that owner Elon Musk on Friday called a “temporary emergency measure.”

70c8fc80

Users who try to view content on the platform will be asked to sign up for an account or log into an exiting account to see their favorite tweets.

“We were getting data pillaged so much that it was degrading service for normal users!” Musk said in a tweet.

He added that hundreds of organizations or more were scraping Twitter data “extremely aggressively,” affecting user experience.

Musk has previously expressed displeasure at artificial intelligence firms like OpenAI, the owner of ChatGPT, using Twitter’s data to train their large language models.

“We absolutely will take legal action against those who stole our data & look forward seeing them in court, which is (optimistically) 2 to 3 years from now,” he said.

In a letter addressed to Microsoft MSFT.O CEO Satya Nadella, Musk’s lawyer Alex Spiro in May asked the tech giant to conduct an audit of its use of Twitter’s content, alleging the Windows developer violated an agreement over using the social media company’s data.

The company has initiated a range of measures to bring back advertisers who left the platform under Musk’s ownership and to increase subscription revenue by making verification check marks a part of the Twitter Blue program.

Earlier in the month, Twitter had announced plans to focus on video, creator and commerce partnerships to revitalize the social media company’s business beyond digital advertising.

Twitter has also begun charging users to access its application programming interface (API), used by third-party apps and researchers.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Elon Musk, the owner of Twitter, has said that all users will be limited to reading a certain number of posts each day to prevent data scraping. It comes just a day after the site started forcing users to log in to read any content. The forced logins are a temporary step, according to the billionaire.

In his latest tweet, Musk says that verified accounts are limited to reading 6,000 posts per day, unverified accounts are limited to reading 600 posts per day, and new unverified accounts can only read 300 posts per day. He called these temporary limits too but it’s not clear what the answer is to Twitter’s data scraping problem.

One user commented on the change explaining that the new limits will break people’s addiction to Twitter and that “we will all be free”, to which Musk responded with “touch grass again”. It’s very unlikely that Twitter’s motivation for the change is about addiction, and much more likely to do with the fact that it wants scrapers to pay $42,000 for API access.

The rest

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
When randomly scrolling, 6k posts can take about 2-3 hours to view. Still some people like to watch a content once week, not every day. My Feedly generates 1k per 2 days.
Anyway I deal with twitter the same way I deal with reddit, I block it. It is just an overpriced junkpile and now they want to limit it to VIPs, well Elon Troll can keep it. 🚗🌎

Attachments

• capture_07012023_224423.jpg
    capture_07012023_224423.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 131

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Anyway I deal with twitter the same way I deal with reddit, I block it. It is just an overpriced junkpile and now they want to limit it to VIPs, well Elon Troll can keep it. 🚗🌎
Hallelujah! Total waste of time, indeed, of everything! 🤯
Whoa, update, y'all:

But it hasn't gone into effect yet, so....whatever. :D

You need to transcribe the contents of your linked posts for those of us who don't or won't use Twitter.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Elon is an freaking !d!ot they ruined it i'm very upset.

I think Twitter was ruined from the beginning as it lost money almost every year.

That said, I'm guessing that more platforms are coming up with these or related policies (Twitter, Reddit, Youtube) because they aren't earning enough from advertising and must now earn from subscriptions and fees, plus ways to prevent adblockers, etc.

More will probably move to decentralized platforms or even go back to forums, where similar operational costs will remain but with decentralization leading to more fragmentation. It'll be like people forming rooms where they will be talking to only a few more people as there are too many rooms to consider, and then most shutting down while new ones created as many can't cover operating costs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.