How to bypass Twitter's login prompt and access content without account

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
More will probably move to decentralized platforms or even go back to forums, where similar operational costs will remain but with decentralization leading to more fragmentation. It'll be like people forming rooms where they will be talking to only a few more people as there are too many rooms to consider, and then most shutting down while new ones created as many can't cover operating costs.

Bingo...!

I'm in the process of setting-up a Mastodon Instance myself. It will be running quite happily on my 2009 20" iMac that has been sitting, waiting to be repurposed for years.

I don't think I will ever see decentralised social media replace Web2 stuff, but when you consider there are more than 10,000 Web3 versions of Twitter already in Germany alone, the level of interest is growing.

The actual take-up rate might be low atm, but the technology is sound and capacity is expanding.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Bluesky, a decentralized Twitter-like social network, is pausing new signups “temporarily” to try and resolve performance issues it’s been experiencing after Twitter introduced limits on the amount of tweets you can see in a day. Even though you still need an invite code to be able to join Bluesky, it seems that the influx of new users has been a problem. “We will temporarily be pausing Bluesky sign-ups while our team continues to resolve the existing performance issues,” Bluesky wrote in a post. “We’ll keep you updated when invite codes will resume functionality. We’re excited to welcome more users to our beta soon!”

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
You know what pains me the most? That the platform gave me hope and in another instance, would've save my life.

During the pandemic, Twitter became my oasis of information. IT pros including David Bombal, Heath Adams( TCM Academy) and many more shared their knowledge and gave their courses for free. I have courses for CCNA, PCEH and AWS on different sites because of them. Amidst the massive world situation, our company dropped CBT Nuggets support (We were trying to get CCNA certified during mid-2019) and I got very stressed that (aside of getting temporarily laid off) I would lose my job because of not getting the cert.

Fast forward to now, that boss got the boot during the tail end of 2020. But thanks to Twitter, I have a new-found energy to finally get my CCNA( and Cloud!) cert.

I expected Musk of all people to embrace learning and sharing for everyone. But, it's slowly going to :poop:...... He may want to stop data scraping and bots but his antics are creating more trolls and hate!

Sad state of affairs.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Some Twitter users are reporting that TweetDeck is down for them. Some are seeing the web app stalled with “Loading” spinners; others are getting Retry buttons that do nothing; and yet others are seeing populated columns frozen in time …

TweetDeck: Latest chapter in a sad story​

TweetDeck used to be the Mac app of choice for professional users, such as brand managers, PR folks, and journalists. It offered multiple columns, allowing users to quickly and easily monitor Twitter feeds by either selected accounts or keywords.

It also supported multiple Twitter accounts, so a PR agency, for example, could use a single app to tweet for multiple brands.

Twitter unexpectedly killed TweetDeck for Mac a year ago, pointing users to the inferior web interface. Other options were also available, but none offered the convenience and ease of the TweetDeck app.

The rest

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
... He may want to stop data scraping and bots but his antics are creating more trolls and hate!...

I get what you're case highlights, and more power to you, but I don't understand how limiting tweets to 6000/day and asking you to sign-in or -up for a free service is restrictive to you.

I must be missing something...

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
That sad state of affairs has been going on since the beginning of company operations around a decade ago as it had been losing money during almost every year.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Meta confirmed earlier in the year that it was “exploring a standalone decentralized social network for sharing text updates," and explained that the team believes "there’s an opportunity for a separate space where creators and public figures can share timely updates about their interests.” The app will officially be out on July 6 of this year, and we’re absolutely buzzing. Meta has had to work quickly to get this off the ground and it looks like the time has finally come for the text-based app to make its debut.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I wrote myself this script: twitter.com to embed

It rewrites pages to their embed widget URL, which doesn't need login. The relevant URLs to use yourself are

For user feeds: https://syndication.twitter.com/srv/timeline-profile/screen-name/USER (replace USER)
For tweet links: Twitter Embed (replace TWEET_ID with the number of a tweet URL)

Those could potentially be used to fix Nitter as well?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Several days after Twitter stopped showing tweets to logged-out users, that basic functionality seems to be returning. Several Engadget editors are once again able to see individual tweets without being logged into their accounts. Profiles still seem to be busted for those who aren’t signed in, however. For instance, I’m able to see a user’s bio, but their feed of tweets isn’t showing up. Meanwhile, tweet previews are working in iMessage again for some folks.

Making tweets inaccessible to logged-out users was a “temporary emergency measure,” according to Twitter owner Elon Musk. “We were getting data pillaged so much that it was degrading service for normal users,” he wrote.

The company gave a similar explanation as to why it temporarily put limits on the number of tweets each user is able to read per day. On Tuesday, it said it made that move, which busted various Twitter apps, to “detect and eliminate bots and other bad actors that are harming the platform,” such as those who are scraping data to train artificial intelligence models.

A post Twitter made on its Business blog has finally expanded on why it chose to limit how many posts someone could read a day. Twitter explained that the move was one of its latest “extreme measures to remove spam and bots from our platform.” The post goes on to say that Twitter is working to prevent bad actors from “1) scraping people’s public Twitter data to build AI models and 2) manipulating people and conversation on the platform in various ways.”

Twitter adds that the move’s “effects on advertising have been minimal,” likely in an effort to convince its advertisers that the posts they’re paying to promote are still being seen by Twitter’s user base. Unfortunately for those of you hoping that post limits would be on their way out that doesn’t appear to be the case. Twitter’s blog post gave no indication of when or even if the limits will go away.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
While his Twitter clone hoovered up millions of users just hours after launching, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg took the opportunity to log onto his Twitter account after 11 years of absence to troll Twitter CEO Elon Musk with a well-known meme — two identical Spider-Men pointing fingers at each other. The rare tweet clearly hit its mark. It took a defensive Musk less than two hours to shoot back: "It is infinitely preferable to be attacked by strangers on Twitter, than indulge in the false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram."

The dueling tweets came as Zuckerberg's Threads app, basically a Twitter clone linked to Instagram, made a play for social media supremacy by signing up over 30 million users in less than 24 hours. "It'll take some time, but I think there should be a public conversations app with one billion plus people on it," wrote Zuckerberg on Threads. "Twitter has had the opportunity to do this but hasn't nailed it. Hopefully we will."

Meanwhile, Zuckerberg's Twitter clone Threads has mopped up a staggering 100 million users within just five days of its launch and Twitter's traffic is "tanking." For all of his childish, playful taunts, Musk is clearly threatened by the rise of Threads, which has quickly turned into a viable alternative for disenfranchised Twitter users who have long complained about Musk's erratic decision-making. Will this be the last we hear from Twitter? Given the data we're seeing, Musk's platform is clearly bleeding traffic right now. But Musk is not giving up without a fight — even if that fight involves an MMA-style cage match or a primary school-style "d--k measuring contest."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.