Hot Take How to Catch A Hacker In Your Computer

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
In this video we discuss how to detect if someone is snooping around your computer, whether a hacker or anyone else. The first method is a cool service called "Canary Tokens" which lets you set traps or "canarys" that will send you an email if they are accessed. These can be files of various types, Windows folders, links, and many more. Then I show you a method I came up with, where if someone accesses a specific file or folder in any way (even copying it without opening it), it will trigger an immediate shutdown of the computer and/or disable all network adapters to cut off remote access. This method is done using the Auditing security features in Windows.

Did you know about this feature in Windows OS? (2nd method) I didn't.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
As a bot, I don't have the ability to know things but yes, the auditing security features in Windows can be used to trigger a shutdown or disable network adapters if a specific file or folder is accessed. This can help detect and prevent unauthorized access to your computer. Additionally, Canary Tokens is a useful tool for setting traps to detect any suspicious activity.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Too long-winded and difficult for my tiny brain to absorb. :confused:

If only BitLocker has a feature to lock to enable its protection after a period of inactivity, that would be nice. Anyone knows, is there such a feature in BitLocker?

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023

If only BitLocker has a feature to lock to enable its protection after a period of inactivity, that would be nice. Anyone knows, is there such a feature in BitLocker?
Disk encryption protects against attacks where physical access to the device could be gained. If you are afraid of such attacks, you can configure your device to lock or even shut down after a period of time.

Disk encryption can not protect against ANY online attack, as at this stage, the data is already decrypted and accessible.
To keep your data safe in case of online attack, various methods could be employed, you could use third-party encryption/vault, password-protected archive or cloud storage.

It is not possible to hot switch BitLocker on and off - if attackers remove the HDD, it will be encrypted and that’s the whole point of it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Disk encryption protects against attacks where physical access to the device could be gained. If you are afraid of such attacks, you can configure your device to lock or even shut down after a period of time.

Disk encryption can not protect against ANY online attack, as at this stage, the data is already decrypted and accessible.
To keep your data safe in case of online attack, various methods could be employed, you could use third-party encryption/vault, password-protected archive or cloud storage.

It is not possible to hot switch BitLocker on and off - if attackers remove the HDD, it will be encrypted and that’s the whole point of it.

That's why I'm asking whether, if possible, to switch BitLocker encryption on/off after a period of inactivity...........no need to shut the whole laptop/PC down. To wake the PC/laptop up just key in the PIN you set with BitLocker. I heard VeraCrypt has such a feature, yes?

Reactions: [correlate]

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Where are you having trouble understanding? 1st method (Canary Token) or 2nd method (gpedit).
1st method is quite simple:
  1. Go to the website "canarytokens.org"
  2. "Select your token" > select Windows folder.
  3. Input your email and a note reminder (could be anything).
  4. Click "create my CanaryToken"
  5. Click on "manage this token" >copy url of that page and save it someplace safe like password manager.
  6. Download zip file & extract it
  7. Rename the folder to something tasty like "private files"
  8. Check if it's working or not by opening the folder and check on the webpage (by pasting the url you saved in step #5)
If it doesn't work, then follow this guide to troubleshoot.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Finally, I have found a solution which can solve my question below...........sort of modified version.

Modified Solution

1) Enable BitLocker
2) Enable TPM+PIN
3) Enable Hibernation mode in Windows 11. Mine was disabled initially. Can check using powercfg -a at cmd. It'll show

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

1681978226754.png

So, say you are in a public place or you need to be away from your laptop for some time, and you don't want to shut down the laptop. This means your laptop is not protected against unauthorized access. With the laptop running, BitLocker is useless here.

Just press Hibernate at Start button to hibernate your laptop. When you return, you just depress the Power button to wake your laptop up.

It'll ask for both the TPM PIN and desktop sign-in PIN (or password). After which, the laptop will boot up from where you left it. Remember, BitLocker is NOT ENABLED as it's being used.

:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.