Guide | How To [How-To] Change IP Address on tor browser into specific country

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
i have the same version but this didn't worked for me. there's no saving option and something strange is I always connect with the same IP no matter how many times i disconnect, dose everybody knows what should i do?

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by "There's no saving option", did you open it on notepad? open notepad and just drag and drop the torrc file, and you'll see the line there, then just adding a new line like I posted above, and close it, it will ask you to save it or not, just save it and it should work :)

oiluj

Mar 3, 2015
I am using Tor Browser Bundle 4.0.4 (Firefox ESR 31.5.0) and torrc file under \Data\Tor\ is empty. I tried to add ExitNodes {NO} line for exiting in Norway and... it does NOT work.
Then I checked torrc-defaults file, that is not empty. I added the line ExitNodes {NO} but it does NOT work either.

Any Suggestion?

herrothar

Mar 15, 2015
Hello there, I have a question for anyone with knowledge on this subject.

I understand this is a guide for masking your IP address to a specific country through TorBrowser for purposes of browsing the internet. But, is it possible to mask your IP address for all the activity of your computer in this way, such that you could open applications that connect to the internet and such through this mask. If so, how would one go about this? Thank you.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Hi Herrothar, I believe such actions is not possible through tor browser, in order to mask your IP address whenever you open any applications/programs you will need VPN, VPN will encrypt all your internet activities including any applications and not only your browser.

oiluj

Mar 3, 2015
@oiluj
Did you restart Tor browser after adding the line.
YES, of course I did. And I tried again right now on my TBB 4.0.4.

- With CLOSED Tor Browser, I opened torrc file under \Data\Tor\ (which is blank) and added the line ExitNodes {NO}. Saved the new file, with only one line, and started Tor Browser. No Result (not having a norwegian IP). So I closed Tor Browser and left torrc file blank again, as it was.
- Then, with CLOSED Tor Browser, I opened torrc-defaults file under \Data\Tor\ (not blank) and added the line ExitNodes {NO} before the AvoidDiskWrites 1 line. Saved the new file, and started Tor Browser. No Result (not having a norwegian IP). So I closed Tor Browser.
- Then, with CLOSED Tor Browser, I opened again torrc-defaults file under \Data\Tor\ (not blank) and deleted the line added before, and then added the line ExitNodes {NO} after the AvoidDiskWrites 1 line. Saved the new file, and started Tor Browser. No Result (not having a norwegian IP). So I closed Tor Browser and gave up.

I still don't know what to do. Any suggestions, please?

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Works for me: ....Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Tor

opened torrc-defaults file in Notepad, saved it and tried Tor browser.
Torc.jpg

Viplala

Oct 5, 2015
YES, of course I did. And I tried again right now on my TBB 4.0.4.

- With CLOSED Tor Browser, I opened torrc file under \Data\Tor\ (which is blank) and added the line ExitNodes {NO}. Saved the new file, with only one line, and started Tor Browser. No Result (not having a norwegian IP). So I closed Tor Browser and left torrc file blank again, as it was.
- Then, with CLOSED Tor Browser, I opened torrc-defaults file under \Data\Tor\ (not blank) and added the line ExitNodes {NO} before the AvoidDiskWrites 1 line. Saved the new file, and started Tor Browser. No Result (not having a norwegian IP). So I closed Tor Browser.
- Then, with CLOSED Tor Browser, I opened again torrc-defaults file under \Data\Tor\ (not blank) and deleted the line added before, and then added the line ExitNodes {NO} after the AvoidDiskWrites 1 line. Saved the new file, and started Tor Browser. No Result (not having a norwegian IP). So I closed Tor Browser and gave up.

I still don't know what to do. Any suggestions, please?

For me it worked when I wrote ExitNodes {CountryCode} both before AND after AvoidDiskWrites 1, like this:

# If non-zero, try to write to disk less frequently than we would otherwise.
ExitNodes {DK}
AvoidDiskWrites 1
ExitNodes {DK}
# Where to send logging messages. Format is minSeverity[-maxSeverity]
/*follows all the other part of the torrc-defaults file, didn't change that part*/

Dunno if it is right, but it worked. Also of course opened torrc-defaults file, edited, saved, closed, closed tor browser (if open beforehand), opened it again and used iplocation.net for check. And I used Tor Browser 5.0.3.

code2466

Nov 9, 2015
If someone could help me out in this on going dilemma, I'd highly and truly appreciate it.

I have been trying to set the exit nodes to US for nearly a year, occasionally strolling forums whom all share the same instructions as you have posted. The problem is, I cannot find the torrc file anywhere at all. Many uninstallations later and nothing. Even downloaded an old Vidalia bundle. I am running on a Mac here. Whenever I try and search for any tor files, I only find the TOR program itself in all of my computer. Someone tell me I am not blind here, please!

tortest

Nov 9, 2015
If someone could help me out in this on going dilemma, I'd highly and truly appreciate it.

I have been trying to set the exit nodes to US for nearly a year, occasionally strolling forums whom all share the same instructions as you have posted. The problem is, I cannot find the torrc file anywhere at all. Many uninstallations later and nothing. Even downloaded an old Vidalia bundle. I am running on a Mac here. Whenever I try and search for any tor files, I only find the TOR program itself in all of my computer. Someone tell me I am not blind here, please!

I use the firefox application in the tor browser file and it's working now. (But still not working with the "Start Tor Browser" in the main file.) I hope this can help.
(I sign up to answer your question at the time I have the same issue.)

NBright

Apr 9, 2016
Hey guys!

This thread really helped me today! :)

I was able to keep my US IP by adding the following to the torr-default file (version 5.5.4):

AvoidDiskWrites 1
ExitNodes {US}

I just wanted to know if there's anyway to set TOR Browser to go to multiple countries (US and UK) and what would be the correct syntax?

I have tried, but it didn't work:

ExitNodes {US}
ExitNodes {UK}

and

ExitNodes {US,UK}

TIA! :)

Last edited:

leon albert

Sep 17, 2016
I have the same version as you mate. What I did was thus:

In the same folder "\Tor Browser\Data\Tor" should be a file called torrc-defaults. Open that. It should start off a bit like this:

AvoidDiskWrites 1
# (stderr|stdout|syslog|file FILENAME).
Log notice stdout
# Bind to this address to listen to connections from SOCKS-speaking
# applications.
SocksPort 9150
ControlPort 9151
CookieAuthentication 1
## fteproxy configuration
ClientTransportPlugin fte exec Tor\PluggableTransports\fteproxy --managed

Add the ExitNodes {??} beneath AvoidDiskWrites 1 like so:

AvoidDiskWrites 1

ExitNodes {US}
# (stderr|stdout|syslog|file FILENAME).

Worked for me.

That makes a good sense to me!

kaubojus

Apr 22, 2018
Hello,
i want ask its possible with TOR login in this IP adress?
IP 76.168.105.53

i need only this ip to login in 1 website..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.