Guide | How To How to change your DNS Server in Windows 7

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
What's Domain Name System?

The Domain Name System (DNS) is like a phone book. Each time your computer visits a web site, it needs to get the IP address of the site. Computers only connect to IP addresses, not human-friendly names

How does it work?

When Public DNS Service is used, it delivers these IP addresses very fast, plus it does a quick check on each site to make sure that it isn't bad. If it is, you are protected from the site but you will get detailed information on why the site is considered to be bad.

Available Public DNS Servers

Clear Cloud DNS
Norton DNS
Comodo Secure DNS
Open DNS
DNS Advantage
Google Public DNS

How to change your DNS Server in Windows 7

Step 1 : Click the Start button
ilDJbM.png

Step 2 : Click Control Panel

Step 3 : Click Network and Internet
ilIfKe.png

Step 4 : Select Network and Sharing Center
ilI99S.png

Step 5 : Click on Change adapter settings on the left hand panel
ij1M30.png

Step 5 : This will bring up a list of adapters present on your computer. Most people will have a Local Area Connection while laptop users will add a Wireless Network Connection and possibly a Bluetooth Network Connection
Right click your network adapter and choose Properties (If you get a UAC prompt, accept)
NOTE: These steps do not change if you are modifying the Wireless Network Connection instead
ilDA5o.png

Step 6 : In the following window, under “This connection uses the following items”, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
ilIDMm.png

Step 7 : Under the General tab check the Use the following DNS server addresses radio button, and enter your prefered DNS server address, in the guide we’ll be using Norton Safe DNS as our main example but there are many others out there (See Available Secure DNS Services)
  • In the Preferred DNS server boxes enter this sequence: 198.153.192.1
  • In the Alternate DNS server boxes enter this sequence: 198.153.194.1
ilDLjY.png

Step 8 : Windows will check your settings (if you checked the option above) and you will be finished!

How to Return to default
Returning to default is as easy as changing the DNS address. Repeat Step 1 – 6, in Step 7. Check the Obtain DNS server address automatically. Hit OK
ilEg7u.png

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
I cannot change my DNS servers no matter how hard i try.I use the 3 mobile broadband network and i cannot change them,they always revert back to my network providers DNS.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
With some routers like Cisco Linksys, the DNS has to be change on the router configuration. Changing it on Windows settings will not change DNS servers. Windows will still use what is configured within the router.

You must check your router's configuration for DNS servers.

The default should be:

and so on if you have room for more than three.

If the default is configured as above then Windows will honor the settings configured on the Network configuration. If anything else is in your router's DNS, then Windows will ignore your custom DNS settings.

Enjoy!! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.