How to clear Comodo's Trusted Vendor List

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
for the ones who didnt know it, if you think the Trusted vendor List of comodo is too huge or not so safe; this is what you need to do:

1. Go to the CIS install directory and open the 'database' folder:
C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\database

2. Now, delete the file named "vendor.n". Alternatively, create a fake file with the same name (you can use Notepad) and replace it.

Repeat this whenever the program is updated.

D Bone

May 28, 2011
RE: how to clear the Trusted Vendor List

Why would someone need to do this? I would hope that Comodo knows what they're doing?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

because if you go on Comodo "submit vendor" page on their official forum, you will see that they allow many many unknown and useless vendors (like the Uniblue drama for Avira) , it happens in the past they trusted a vendor who finally was flagged as untrustful (if not malicious, forgot the name of that vendor).

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

To the best of my knowledge, there have never been any malicious applications discovered that are on the whitelist. The ones people are flagging have been more of the gray area type applications, such as rogues. Possibly questionable marketing techniques, but not harmful.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

HeffeD said:
The ones people are flagging have been more of the gray area type applications, such as rogues. Possibly questionable marketing techniques, but not harmful.

that is the problem, rogues should not be in the trusted list !

you surely know that the main wish for CIS 6 is a tweaking option for the vendor list (like selecting the one we want and deleting the others), many comodo users complains about it. im still astonished by how fast a unknown vendor is added to that list ^^ (even if comodo team check it before, but sometimes i feel they are overwhelmed by the number of submissions)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

I think part of the problem is that everyones definition of a rogue is different. I personally consider a rogue to be a piece of software that will run a bogus scan and tell you that you have hundreds of issues to fix and want you to purchase the software to fix them. Basically asking you to pay for useless software by using scare tactics. Or software that will adversely affect your systems performance.

However, I've seen people classify software that runs a valid scan but then asks for money to make the repairs as a rogue. I definitely don't like that type of software, but it is actual valid, working software. There was a discussion about a registry cleaner on the whitelist a few months ago that was this type of software. LanGuy was calling it a rogue, yet Umesh (developer at Comodo) personally checked it out and it was completely legit, it just had a pretty aggressive marketing strategy.

As I mentioned before, it's a bit of a gray area...

That said, I've never been happy with the way the trusted vendor list functions. Some of my earliest posts on the Comodo forums are in regards to the fact that I'm not happy with Comodo putting things on my trusted software vendors list. After all, it is called My Trusted Software Vendors! How could I possibly trust a vendor that I've never even heard of? I really don't care if someone else uses their software and trusts it. It's all about who I trust. And the fact that vendors removed from the list are automatically replaced is head scratcher. Ummmm... I took that off for a reason, don't keep putting it back...

This was years ago of course, and there have been no changes. In fact, the TVL is growing at an astonishing rate! I have high hopes for version 6, but I'm not holding my breath... :s

I understand Comodo's concept behind it. Too many people want the security a HIPS provides, but then they scream that the HIPS is too chatty. Ummmm.... That is what a HIPS does! Any software that tries to do something on your computer must be approved by the user. If you can't deal with that, then perhaps a HIPS isn't for you... So the TVL is an attempt to quiet down the complaints by putting every developer possible on the list.

The TVL definitely has its uses, so deleting it entirely isn't a very enticing option. I just wish the list was more user configurable.

Edit: typos...

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

we agree, but clearing it is the only available fast option (i dont have time to delete every vendor one by one ^^)

ah v6 sound like the St. Graal ^^ lot of hope...

D Bone

May 28, 2011

Wow, I had no idea. I don't want to have to edit my security software that's for sure.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Comodo should allow users to edit the TVL. Some users might want to allow only vendors they trust.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
bogdan said:
Comodo should allow users to edit the TVL. Some users might want to allow only vendors they trust.

it is the one of the most wished feature asked for CIS v6

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:

Yep. :)

However, it's not the security hole that some people seem to think it is... :rolleyes:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I have suggested that comodo should have two TVL, one that has the essential vendor, such ast ATI, AMD, Nvidia and so on, and the other should be apart of the cloud (lets call it Cloud TVL) and be optional.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
It doesn't even need to be as complex as that. Just a users list and the list that Comodo provides. That way, the users that enjoy the convenience of every vendor under the sun is happy, as are the users that prefer just the bare essentials on their list.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It might not be a big security risk but it would be nice for future versions of CIS to have this feature. It is the same flawed notion of "trust" that is forced on us by registration agencies giving away certificates -> they are telling us who we must trust.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
It might not be a big security risk but it would be nice for future versions of CIS to have this feature.

Absolutely! As I've already mentioned, I've been wishing for something like this for years. More user control is always a good thing.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I see that in Comodo Cleaning Essentials you can manage the Trusted Vendors ...
Manage.gif

Doesn't CIS have the same option?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
yes CIS has the same too but you must select them one by one if you want remove them... more tweaking will be more convenient like "remove all" or "add from file" etc.

does anyone know any of the vendors in the screenshots? ^^ and the first one really look like a malware name ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.