How to configure virtual box to start testing shady software include malware samples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
hi gents,
i have recently installed virtual box and its extension packs. i want to start to test antivirus software against malware samples from malware hub so i want to a solid configuration for it

I

illumination

Please, do yourself a favor... Before you drop your very first sample into that VM, take some time "a serious amount" to learn what you are about to venture into. From setting up the VM and network and protecting yourself and others, to the tools you will need to properly test, how to test, and above all else, most important, take the time to research samples before you execute them, learning of how they attack and effect the system. This advice, is just the tip of the iceberg, there is much involved in testing malware and security products. If you fail to educate yourself before doing so, it will more then likely not end well. This is one time, someone showing you how to configure something, is not good enough.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Please, do yourself a favor... Before you drop your very first sample into that VM, take some time "a serious amount" to learn what you are about to venture into. From setting up the VM and network and protecting yourself and others, to the tools you will need to properly test, how to test, and above all else, most important, take the time to research samples before you execute them, learning of how they attack and effect the system. This advice, is just the tip of the iceberg, there is much involved in testing malware and security products. If you fail to educate yourself before doing so, it will more then likely not end well. This is one time, someone showing you how to configure something, is not good enough.
thanks for your valuable advice.i am still learn how to configure the virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.