Guide | How To [How To] Convert a disk from MBR to GPT

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
hi guys,

So i had a machine originally shipped with Win8 (GPT partition scheme); on it, i installed Win7 and changed the disk scheme to MBR , but after being disappointed by Win7, i want to put Win10 back , but there is a issue :

Win10 won't install on a MBR partition scheme ! nooooooooooooo im done , im stuck on Win7 !!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

In fact , no ! :D

There is some steps to do convert the MBR partition to GPT; however you will lost all datas on your disks !!!
Noooooooooooo !!!! my datas are done !!!!! :confused:

In fact no ! just back up them on cloud or external HDD :p

so there are the steps:

0- Start the installation process.
1- When Win8/10 show the "Install now" screen , click Shift + F10 to open command prompt.
2- Once open, type : Diskpart , press enter
3- Then type : List Disk , the list of your disks will appear, your HDD should be "disk 0" unles you have several of them.
4- Type : Select Disk 0 (or the number of the appropriate disk you want to convert) , it should show "disk 0 is now the selected disk"
5- Type : Clean , it will wipe the disk of datas/partitions , hence preparing it for the transition to GPT (also , now you should have any malware running on it :p ), it should show "succeeded to clean the disk "
6- Type: Convert GPT , it should show "succesfully converted the selected disk to GPT format"
7- Exit the command prompt, then continue with the installation.

8- Once arrived on the installation option screen, select "Custom install", then you should see your disk(s) listed; select the one you want install the OS.
9- Click on "New" button, set his size, click "apply" , Windows should show a popup warning you that some partitions will be created to ensure a proper installation, click "ok"
10- Click next, then the installation should start, proceed as usual.

This tutorial wade made in real-time, im typing while doing it :D

Thanks for reading , and i hope i helped you.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
"Windows 10 won't install on a MBR partition scheme"???

My Win 10 is on MBR...
Clipboard01.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.