poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Windows 7 sp1
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
No problem with OS ,only with converters.
Three years ago I used to run a Wondershare mobile backup which i discontinued and didnt pay for anymore.
Now I've got the need to check if a contact I lost is in that .bak backup.
Found many offline and online converters which promised to do the job but failed on the account file was too big (976mb),so i proceeded to split it in three files ...but when I tried again to convert 'the file was not supported'.
Actually I am rather tired and desperate after a few hours and on the verge of giving up.
I only need to view the files (renaming into dwg,like trying to convert to .pdf, or any fileViewer failed and I guess if I install again the old Wondershare which created it,they would demand a new payment-which i'd avoid) so my only hope is someone in the forum might have a solution to the problem or at least assure me its impossible.

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
Hi @poirotz ,

Have you tried contacting Wondershare Support, explain the situation clearly and carefully and calmly.

Ensure you tell them that you can find no other method of accessing YOUR data. Locked up in THEIR file format.

I did a few searches on Google and they seem to be doing quite a bit of data recovery(PC and Droid.) So it should be relatively easy given their abilities.

• This returned mixed results:
  • wondershare *.dat file unpacker

• This returned better:
  • wondershare .dat file unpacker (the word file is probably redundant.)

Surely its worth an email or phone call? They may well help you out. The worst they can say is no. You're no worse off.

Else, try downloading the program again in Free Flavour(if it exists.) Install, get number, delete Wondershare again.

Remember to pre-scan the download URLs with VirusTotal or other link scanning utility to ensure it's clean before you download.

Please let me know how you get on.

Good luck Mate!

@TRS-80

Upvote 0

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks a lot for your sound advice TRS-80 . I already tried to put the .bak file in my smartphone download section and then i installed the mobiletrans setup which i had used in the past,but,although the installed program gives the option to EXPLORE any file, i am unable to open the lurid extension (sorry for any relative of the .bak).
At this moment i am going to implement the other suggestions of yours and will report as soon i have a result of sorts.

Upvote 0

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
@TRS-80
I've tried all existing tools provided by Wondershare,including drfone,and also those mentioned in your post,but
unfortunately, to no avail.
In turn each and every solution brings to a grey button, a dead end,or simply wont work.
I've had a hard time trying to contact Wondershare online,too,as their policy is highly discouraging for anyone with something different to ask or not currently under contract with them-I finally succeeded via Facebook and i am waiting for a reply....if there'll be any....which i frankly doubt.
Que sera,sera,whatever will be will be......
while i thank you again for your interest in my problem,i got to admit i've learnt something at least.

Reactions: TRS-80
Upvote 0

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
@TRS-80
Just to update you and put the word finish to this matter-
Wondershare replied to my email:
(Subject:Cannot open .bak wondershare.
I made a .bak wondershare backup two tears ago now I'd like to retrieve just one contact phone from it but cannot open in any way.Perhaps you can kindly tell me how to do it, i only need to explore and watch my old backup.Thanks for any help.; Payment date:etc.etc.)

but the guy replied:

"Sorry for not understand you that clear. To avoid misleading, do you want us send the software for the version you have bought before?"

What on earth is NOT clear in my request? Why it took you only 1 second to understand my problem,but is UNCLEAR to Wondershare support?

In spite of this I wanted to update my ticket and explain again ,but the next window only brings a request for an order ID and a password, clearly demanding a (2019) payment to proceed.

Not being willing to spend hours on this matter I've decided to quit. I will hopefully solve the matter with other methods and will use another software in the future.
Regards,poirotz

Upvote 0

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
G'day @poirotz ,

I'm really sorry to hear there is no apparent "simple solution."

I've been away for a couple of nights due to unplanned surgery. Back now.

I consider their response to be rather rude.

I'm going to have a few days where I'm relatively free(I hope.) I'll look into it further, as I know the answer exists somewhere. I misconstrued the file type as being a *.dat rather than the *.bak as you stated. My error. Apologies.

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up an older machine that MAY support the *.bak file type.

I have a couple more thoughts but need to sleep now. I'll have a more in depth look tomorrow and get you the results as soon as I can.

Hang on in there and we'll see what, if anything, can be done within the bounds of my knowledge.

Do you still have the file(s?) Are you sure the files aren't corrupted?

Very best,

@TRS-80
(Mike.)

Upvote 0

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Sorry to hear what you underwent,hope all is ok for you.
Dont tire yourself with this .bak problem,there's no hurry.
Now for me,and i guess for you too, it's become a matter of principle, just to check if something apparently
solvable is in reality unsolvable...
And yes, i am sure it is not corrupted. It has remained in an untouched external device for more than two years.
Nothing ever corrupted in that disk.
It is a large file (954mb) which i split in three 318mb parts when the first recovery program complained it was too big,but i tried with the whole big file and the smaller parts in every conceivable way with all you suggested and more.
I know what it can be to undergo surgery,so,thanks again for your help and get fit quick!

Upvote 0

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
Hello @poirotz ,

Thank you for your kind words. I'll be okay!(y)

Yes, definitely a matter of principle regarding your files. I know how frustrating it can be when you know you have something but just can't access it! I can't imagine you'd be trying so hard to retrieve the number if it wasn't important to you.

I enjoy getting stuck into a good mystery. For once, I'm going to have some time to spare.

I'm located in Australia for the foreseeable future so our times are likely going to be different. No problem. I worked permanent night shift for a considerable time, 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day. Bed was looking good until I got tied up reading the threads.

Later today I'll have a look back through some old paperwork that may provide some information provided I can find it.

It seems that we're going to be dealing with a database backup file, possibly SQL or SQL Lite.(I haven't made it to the Wondershare site yet but will after I post this message - More likely after a bit of sleep. It's 04:48hrs here at present.)

Will you please advise the Make and Model of the Phone you had Wondershare installed on, if you remember? If you can't recall, just the Maker would be helpful. That will just narrow the possibilities down a little.

Have you attempted (using a copy of the file,) changing the Extension from *.bak to *.doc or *.docx yet? That may enable you (bear in mind that it will take quite some time to open) to read the file in MS Wordpad(*.doc) or MS Word(*.docx?) I don't recall the last time I opened a document file of the size you mentioned. If that works for you, it has the advantage of making the file searchable to some degree. That way you won't have to manually crawl your way right through each file until you locate your Contact's Details. [NOTE: If you've already tried this approach without success please advise me. Further, it's possible the file may be encrypted. In that case it won't likely be immediately readable.]

Whilst you do that (no hurry,) I'll keep researching. I will grab a bit of sleep then check back to see if you've managed to get anywhere.

I wish you all the luck in the world my friend! Please work with copies, not the originals. The originals are your 'Guarantee.'

Take your time and, as I said, it will likely take quite some time to open(or not) the file(s) in MS Word preferably. If you could get the first of the archives open(first in the series of three,) even if it doesn't display perfectly, there may be useful information regarding the file in the header. If you don't want to make it public, feel free to paste a small section into a PM to me. Otherwise paste it into this thread and I'll have a look as soon as I can.

Good luck Mate. See you a little later! :coffee::emoji_popcorn:

@TRS-80
(Mike)

Upvote 0

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
@TRS-80
At long last my quest for a solution is over!
First of all let me tell you the bad one: i've been completely unable to open or view the .bak file, i really think that ,as you need the program which created it in order to open it, the task of simply opening a .bak file by renaming,converting or else, is utterly IMPOSSIBLE (unless being a progammer-hacker perhaps).

The good one is i found another wondershare .bak backup i had made previously in another external disk which was just 530kb instead of 320MB and this helped a lot.
Then i again installed the program i had bought in 2016 and kept at hand the applicable data like order ID etc..
Connected my phone to pc , inserted the old data,received the ok, disconnected and proceeded to transfer all contacts into my current phone, and lo! the f. and miserrimus lone phone number was again at my disposal after a long week!!!

Now i'll have to dispose of 348 phone numbers i dont need,but i am so relieved!

My wife -she really needed the phone number- was already questioning me why i had illogically made an UNUSABLE backup and why it was called backup if you couldnt use it........

Mike, had you not helped and encouraged me i would have quit much sooner,so thanks again and best wishes to you

poirotz

Upvote 0

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
Hi @poirotz ,

That is excellent news indeed! I'm elated that you were able to retrieve the contact.

The process you went through after finding the smaller backup was very well done indeed!

I've just found your message now following another short time in hospital.

Kudos to you for keeping going when all seemed lost. Sometimes these things fall into place. I'm glad you didn't give up!

Stay safe and well.

Best,

@TRS-80

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.