Advice Request How to disable HTTPS filtering in ESET Internet Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
ESET doesn't recommend disabling it but you absolutely should disable it. No matter what a company is saying, your entire security is compromised by allowing a middleman to look at your encrypted traffic.
But if your AV insists on HTTPS scanning would it not be wiser to choose another AV?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well I'd vote to keep HTTPS scanning enabled. Yes, your antivirus acts as a middleman in the connection, which kinds of breaks the model of "encrypted", but it's safer that way, and I'd prefer a cybersecurity company in the middle, than a cybercriminal.

Encrypted connections are not invulnerable to malware, and malware CAN attack through them, like messaging apps, browsers, mail. You can choose not to "scan HTTPS" but protection will decrease, it's a fact.
And it's not like ESET breaks HTTPS, it just spawns in between both points. And in order for that to be an issue, a cybercriminal would have to be able to take control of ESET itself and use it as a mean to attack you. And that not only is not an easy job, but it's expensive and would be a targeted attack.

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
I know its late answer, but I'd definitely disable HTTPS scanning and honestly it does not have that big effect on your protection - I think its BS. There are numerous other ways to strengthen your browsing security like using adblocker such as uBlock Origin. With uBlock Origin's advanced mode, you can block by default things like 3rd party frames, 3rd party scripts, inline scripts, javascript or remote fonts from loading for instance and set whitelist of sites where you allow them to load... Way more powerful tool for hardening browser security than let your AV break your HTTPS connection for no real reason. ESET is a great AV no doubt, but HTTPS scanning is completely unnecessary.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I know its late answer, but I'd definitely disable HTTPS scanning and honestly it does not have that big effect on your protection - I think its BS. There are numerous other ways to strengthen your browsing security like using adblocker such as uBlock Origin. With uBlock Origin's advanced mode, you can block by default things like 3rd party frames, 3rd party scripts, inline scripts, javascript or remote fonts from loading for instance and set whitelist of sites where you allow them to load... Way more powerful tool for hardening browser security than let your AV break your HTTPS connection for no real reason. ESET is a great AV no doubt, but HTTPS scanning is completely unnecessary.
I also read this VPN Speeds Explained

When AV software tries to inspect encrypted network traffic it can slow down the connection, or break the tunnel entirely. If you use this type of anti virus software, try disabling the “SSL Scanning” feature in the settings. Better yet, remove it entirely and practice common sense.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.