How to fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable’ high CPU usage

Did you ever experience a high CPU usage from Windows Defender ‘Antimalware Service Executable’

• Yes

• No

• I'm not a Windows Defender user

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
The Antimalware Service Executable process plays an important role in the Windows Defender Service that comes bundled with Windows 10 (and, despite the similarities in name, is completely unrelated to Emsisoft Anti-Malware!). However, it’s also infamous for consuming far more than its fair share of CPU processing power, and can even single handedly reduce your computer’s speed to a glacial crawl.

If you’re a Windows Defender user and have noticed high CPU usage for abnormally long periods of time, you’ll be pleased to know that the issue can easily be resolved.

In this article, we’ve put together a few simple steps you can follow to prevent Antimalware Service Executablefrom hogging your system’s resources and keep your machine running smoothly.

How to fix ‘Antimalware Service Executable’ high CPU usage

Hope it will help those facing this issue :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Thanks, I use Emsisoft today (thanks to the MT draw) but I've already used WD as the main AV, and I actually noticed that gigantic use of CPU was one reason I have changed. Changing the subject, how cool it is to see Umbra working at Emsisoft, a guy who was one of the moderators of our beloved MT, I'm very happy for you, my friend, keep being this cool guy that you are, and excellent professional, big hug and always success :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.