Advice Request How to get Kaspersky Firewall or Application control to actually prompt user

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

UltraSecurity20

Thread author
Dec 5, 2020
Hello, Long time reader, but this is my first post. I Ditched Bitdefender for Kaspersky as it offers better protection and no bugs like Bugdefender. I have tried Kaspersky multiple times this time I bought licenses. I cannot for the life of me get Kaspersky to follow my application rules or to have the firewall set so before connections go out, I approved them first. The only time I got notifications to work it was prompting like 10 times a minute a completely intolerable. Bitdefender app notifications are simple to set up to get prompted first. I set the application rules by color Orange as notify, but it doesn't notify. I basically wasted my money if I can't be prompted to be notified before applications connect through the firewall. Harlen, anyone? know what I'm talking about and how to set it? I'm using KTS 2021. Thank you

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Hi :)

I guess this has been already discussed in the forum, anyway... Kaspersky FireWall is "special" and it's tied to Application Control and Kaspersky whitelisting, so it will work in a different manner than a standard firewall...

Having that said, there are some steps to do if You want K.firewall prompts:

1.- Uncheck this setting:

1607238873479.png

2.- By Default, trusted applications are allowed to access to all networks, so We have to change these rules. If We change to "Ask User" global network rules for all trusted applications, We'll get, of course, a nightmare bunch of prompts/notifications (because there, there are also all the trusted Windows services, etc...) so You may try to change to "Ask User" only the network rules of the applications You want be prompted... example:

1607239721600.png

Last edited:
Upvote 3

UltraSecurity20

Thread author
Dec 5, 2020
I gave up and purchased Glassware and Kaspersky antivirus. I was using the beta and never used my Kaspersky key for two devices if anyone is interested in it, I will let it go for the 12.00 I paid for it two days ago from a very reputable vendor. Can I list it on here ? I'm sure someone would want it. I will even provide the key first if you have a good reputation. This includes a one-year warranty should anything happen he has you covered. The Firewall and application control completely froze my computer beyond frustrated If anyone wants it please let me know antivirus and GlasswWire work much better for me. Thank you for all the help. I wish a Total security key would activate antivirus. Oh well

Upvote 0

UltraSecurity20

Thread author
Dec 5, 2020
I can't believe
I found it, but Thank you. I'm sure I'll have Kaspersky questions in the future. They obviously don't want people screwing with the firewall because figuring it out is impossible unless your an expert with Kaspersky. I found Glasswire Elite three years for 18.00. Excellent if not the best firewall. Thanks again Harlan.

Upvote 0

rndmblk

Level 3
Nov 18, 2020
Kaspersky FireWall is "special" and it's tied to Application Control and Kaspersky whitelisting, so it will work in a different manner than a standard firewall...

Thanks @harlan4096 - I recently changed my Application Control defaults and assumed the firewall had been configured correctly. Now I understand that it is and as a test I got it to prompt me for a specific application. Always nice to see it work as expected :D

Upvote 0

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Dealing with this myself. Apparently the best you can get is to make the default action for unknown applications 'Low Resricted'. I like Kaspersky quite a bit, but it seems they have been trying too hard to dumb down the interface, making it difficult to use for people who actually want to fine-tune it. The main GUI window would be a lot nicer if it were configurable as well.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.