Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a dual-boot system with Windows 10 (GPT partitioning) and MX Linux. It is set up as EFI boot.
I want to go back to legacy (MBR) boot, because I am having issues with virtual machines based on my Windows system. (I have a VM created by Physical-to-Virtual, and another one that I am trying to boot by raw access to the Windows installation. Both have booting problems in VirtualBox.)

I enabled legacy boot in the BIOS, but I can't get it to boot Windows that way. I tried fixing the boot with Windows recovery media, and with Macrium Reflect recovery media, but no go. Windows doesn't want to boot from legacy.
What to do?

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I have a dual-boot system with Windows 10 (GPT partitioning) and MX Linux. It is set up as EFI boot.
I want to go back to legacy (MBR) boot, because I am having issues with virtual machines based on my Windows system. (I have a VM created by Physical-to-Virtual, and another one that I am trying to boot by raw access to the Windows installation. Both have booting problems in VirtualBox.)

I enabled legacy boot in the BIOS, but I can't get it to boot Windows that way. I tried fixing the boot with Windows recovery media, and with Macrium Reflect recovery media, but no go. Windows doesn't want to boot from legacy.
What to do?

Is secure boot disabled in Windows ?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can't use a GPT partition in Legacy, you need to convert it to MBR.

You can convert a partition from MBR to GPT without reformat, but the opposite is not possible (at least natively).
I was afraid of that.
What happens if I reformat, and then restore a system image on it? Does that put it back to GPT?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't think it will work, as Windows itself needs to be setup for either MBR or GPT, is the reason Microsoft made a built-in tool to convert the from MBR to GPT with no data loss (no options for the opposite, as MBR is obsolete).
Thanks. Sounds like going back to MBR is the nuclear option. I guess I will just stick with my P2V virtual machine that I once created with the VMware standalone converter tool. It gives you an option for MBR boot in the conversion, and that worked for me in VirtualBox. (For optimum performance, you need to do a second conversion, from VMDK to VDI.)

I posted about my booting issues on the VirtualBox forum, maybe they will get back to me...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.