How to Improve Windows 8.1 Pro Security without 3rd Party Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RmG152

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Hi, I read some user that "tweak" their windows to improve the security

eg
On a side note, now that I have upgraded from Core to Pro of Windows 8.1, I can disallow execution of any file in the Downloads folder.

I want to find some tweaks to improve Windows 8.1 protection, someone now any tweaks?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
At a Basic level, review your Action Center. I need to reboot, so I'll be back to post more. In the meantime, I found this very useful link with guide, http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/

upload_2014-7-11_12-49-9.png

Network Firewall - This is Windows Firewall. Use your Public profile, when connected to untrusted networks such as hotspots or other public Wifi locations.
upload_2014-7-11_13-6-7.png

Windows Update - This ensures Windows OS is always up-to-date and secure.
upload_2014-7-11_12-51-58.png

Virus + Spyware Protection - This is Windows Defender. Check that real-time protection is enabled and regular scans are performed, either when required or once a week. A quick scan shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes on modern hardware.
upload_2014-7-11_12-53-32.png

Internet Security Settings - 'Internet Options' in IE are set on default settings* with Enhanced Protected Mode enable.
upload_2014-7-11_12-55-47.png

*I have custom settings.

You can also Prevent downloads in Internet Explorer, by clicking Custom Level on the Internet Zone.
upload_2014-7-11_13-11-32.png

User Access Control - Default works best for maximum OS operability and access to all features, such as Windows Refresh and Reset.
upload_2014-7-11_12-57-0.png

Windows SmartScreen - This addition layer in Windows 8.x can prevent unrecognised apps from running.
upload_2014-7-11_12-57-33.png

Microsoft Account - You can ensure your account safety by enabled 2-Factor Authentication and reviewing your Recent Activities.
upload_2014-7-11_13-2-18.png

RmG152

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks for url and IE settings. I know another functions.
Any one now more tweaks?

I hate User Access Control always ask when run task manager
How did you get that black windows border with white font ?
+1

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@RmG152 I'm still looking into more tweaks about my Download folder, I know I did this on Windows 7 a few years ago.

If you have UAC on default, you should not get any UAC prompts when running Task Manager. I can launch Task Manager without any problems, I suggest switching back to default settings.

@KaptainBug I see no white font, unless you're asking what VS I am using, see my post or direct link.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
@RmG152 I'm still looking into more tweaks about my Download folder, I know I did this on Windows 7 a few years ago.

If you have UAC on default, you should not get any UAC prompts when running Task Manager. I can launch Task Manager without any problems, I suggest switching back to default settings.

@KaptainBug I see no white font, unless you're asking what VS I am using, see my post or direct link.
Thanks. I don't want to patch my system to use themes. I thought they were some default themes.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks Huracan, these images are great!:) I feel like I could just come back here if ever I need to copy an image to illustrate an explanation ...unless, of course, Every One Of These Images ends up being pasted!!:p:D ;)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
@Huracan , what problem can a user come through if set UAC to maximum? I 've set it to maximum and I have not noticed anything for a long time now.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.