Advice Request How to install Stratospher ips?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
hey, thank you for the reply, yea I don't understand the installation but I can learn :/
umbra you are right but sometimes you need to learn smth new I have no idea about it right but if someone learns me...:p
IPS is needy.. like an av for your win an ips is needy for your network and u know that better than me

D

Deleted member 178

hey, thank you for the reply, yea I don't understand the installation but I can learn :/
umbra you are right but sometimes you need to learn smth new I have no idea about it right but if someone learns me...:p
IPS is needy.. like an av for your win an ips is needy for your network and u know that better than me
I don't need IPS, because the chances my network is compromised is almost nihil.
But if you need an IPS just use ESET or Symantec EP instead of trying complex appliances which requires python and other subprograms...
When you learn something, you start from the basics.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Some things just want to be complicated right from the very start. Why? Don't you love your customers?

D

Deleted member 178

What if you're not mastering anything else currently?
If you are a total noob (with all due respect) , you won't choose a security model that need expertise in several different fields. You choose the simplest one , to get some basics and then improve your skills.
i didn't popup up with all my knowledge at same time, i started with :

single AV (Avast) > was disappointed , selected Norton IS > with time, it wasn't good enough to me , i shift to Comodo FW v3 > liked it very much > but then i needed a RT AV , found out EAM and its dual engine (Ikarus + Emsi at that time), i loved it > then i saw Emsi also offered a HIPS firewall (Online Armor) a la Comodo > ditched comodo , used OA , became closed beta tester for emsisoft > use EAM + OA for quite a long time and honed my skills with it ..etc...etc...etc...

If you don't have the basics, you won't be able to understand more complex softwares like those proposed by @public enemy ; he doesn't have the skills required because on the first post he asked how to install an appliance and he didn't notice it needs other appliances to function... most products he mentioned are Windows adaptations ported from Linux, and Linux require a high learning curve.

Even if someone help him install the mentioned appliance , then what after ? would he understands rain of command lines, complex logs? i don't think so.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Stratosphere said:
Stratosphereis a free software Intrusion Prevention System that uses Machine Learning to detect and block known malicious behaviors in the network traffic. In the near future Stratosphere will be included inside the Snort IDS as a plugin.

So it is not for desktop's but networks of NGOs and CSOs (public organization). When you want to learn more about IPS start with Comodo using Cruel Sister's setup (to be found on this forum)

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I want to install this ips software:
Stratosphere IPS
Stratosphere IPS
GitHub - stratosphereips/StratosphereWindowsIps: The Stratosphere IPS is a free software IPS that uses network behavior to detect and block malicious actions.

but I can't understand the installation guide:p:p
another one:
Samhain Labs | samhain
plz if someone knows how to install these software's(easy and simple way) guide me
My advice. Don't bother! The instructions are missing vital information: how to install Argus; the software you need to actually capture and analyse the network packets. Says "Coming soon' Hmm, helpful :mad:.
Anyway, this is definitely not aimed at the typical home user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.