Guide | How To How to Install Ubuntu 10.10 using Wubi

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
<embed src='http://www.pcworld.com/video/player.swf' height='370' width='526' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' flashvars='&=true&bandwidth=15880&fbit.height=240&fbit.visible=true&fbit.width=426&fbit.x=0&fbit.y=0&file=%2Fvideo%2Fhowto%2F110210_HowInstallUbuntu.flv&frontcolor=0xffffff&googima.ad.pcw.bandwidth=high&googima.ad.pcw.position=pre&googima.ad.pcw.tag=http%3A%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fpfadx%2Fpcw.main.video%2FJWPlayer%3Baid%3D220758%3Bmid%3D1822%3Bc%3D2132%3Bpg%3Dvideo%3Bsz%3D426x240%3Bord%3D5284432&googima.admessagedynamic=This%20ad%20will%20close%20in%20XX%20seconds&googima.admessagedynamickey=XX&googima.allowvolumeslider=true&googima.click_tracking=true&googima.height=240&googima.position=over&googima.scaled_ads=false&googima.visible=true&googima.width=426&googima.x=0&googima.y=0&image=http%3A%2F%2Fzapp0.staticworld.net%2Fimages%2Fvideo%2FLoading.gif&plugins=googima%2Cfbit-1%2Ctweetit-1%2Cviral-2&skin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcworld.com%2Fvideo%2Fpcworld.zip&streamer=rtmp%3A%2F%2Fflashstream.pcworld.com&tweetit.height=340&tweetit.visible=true&tweetit.width=526&tweetit.x=0&tweetit.y=0&viral.allowmenu=true&viral.functions=link%2Cembed&viral.onpause=false'/>

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
RE: How to Install Ubuntu 10.10

I have it installed on an old computer, as well as my PC on dual boot and have it on usb drive.... although think gonna revive one of my old boxes in storage and whack FreeNAS on it... *is drifting off too much today*

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

AyeAyeCaptain said:
I have it installed on an old computer, as well as my PC on dual boot and have it on usb drive.... although think gonna revive one of my old boxes in storage and whack FreeNAS on it... *is drifting off too much today*
Nicee .:D ..I've just tried it on my VM, I might give it a go on my system :tuxout:

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Jack said:
AyeAyeCaptain said:
Nicee .:D ..I've just tried it on my VM, I might give it a go on my system :tuxout:

Why the hell not, and while you're at it whack on Comodo's AV for good measure! I do have to admit that I don't play (the term I use) with linux distro's as much as I used to, let alone ubuntu which I believe to be the best out of them.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

I have 10.10 on a VM. I like it.

I also tried Kubuntu, but KDE always seems to have issues with VMWares video drivers and it always wants to revert to 800x600 every boot.

I've had the problem with every distro I've tried that uses KDE. I wish they would just add a "Save as default" setting after you alter your screen resolution like Gnome in Ubuntu has so you don't need to do any manual editing of the Xorg files. Although Gnome under OpenSUSE doesn't have the save button and it keeps the desired resolution, while KDE always resets... :-/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I have 10.10 installed on my 2004 desktop computer.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011

That's not a recommended way to install Ubuntu. For a fact Linux boys don't like this app.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

It is just a way to make this distro even more popular. It is OK to use wubi if you want to test Ubuntu out.

From Ubuntu wiki:
The Windows-based Ubuntu Installer (Wubi) allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu from within Microsoft Windows. It lets a Microsoft Windows user try Ubuntu without risking any data loss due to disk formatting or partitioning.

ballader1

Apr 14, 2011
I've tried Ubuntu(I didn't install it using wubi) on my 1999 Pentium 3 800Mhz computer with 256 MB of ram and 40GB hard drive and it is amazing, the requirements are really low, I <3 Ubuntu!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.